By default, you should use the stable and fully tested versions of Toolset. However, there will be occasions when you will want to test versions that have not been officially released.
There are two types of releases, also known as “channels”:
- Production – this is the default channel which only contains official and stable releases. It is completely safe to upgrade but remember to make a backup before doing so as a standard precaution.
- Beta – let’s consider these releases as “almost stable.” During the beta stage, our plugins are not covered by the QA process. Therefore, they can contain potential errors. We strongly recommend that you make backups before installing beta plugins. Additionally, you should not use beta releases on live, production sites.
To switch to another channel, go to the Plugins page, click the Add New button and then the Commercial tab at the top. Under the Updates channel option within the Toolset section select which channel you wish to switch to using the drop-down menu. Finally, click the Switch button.
Important notes about how switching to other channels work:
- To switch from Production to Beta you must have the latest stable versions of Toolset components.
- You can only switch from Production to Beta if there are newer versions available.
- When you switch to another channel, all other versions will automatically update to the most recent one.
- Switching to the Beta channel and then back to the Production one, means that you will be able to upgrade to a Production version (of the beta you currently have) as soon as it becomes available. You cannot downgrade from a Beta to a previous stable version. For example, if you switched to 4.5 Beta version, you can not downgrade it to a 4.4 Production version. Instead, you will be upgraded to 4.5 Production version as soon as it is released.