Skip Navigation

[Résolu] With Toolset Maps caching of coordinates, does displaying maps still count towards Google API use?

Ce fil est résolu. Voici une description du problème et la solution proposée.

Problem:
With Toolset Maps caching of coordinates, does displaying maps still count towards Google API use?

Solution:
Yes, though caching of locations reduces the requests, it doesn't eliminate them, and Google still counts drawing dynamic maps with markers towards your API usage.

This support ticket is created Il y a 5 années et 7 mois. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 4 réponses, has 3 voix.

Last updated by Tinsterman Il y a 5 années et 7 mois.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Auteur
Publications

Our customer (historyinyourownbackyard.com) is running into issues where he's exceeding the new threshold Google threw at us out of nowhere, and his site is starting to display the over-quota error message. Shouldn't caching help prevent him from hitting the 28,000 limit? It does appear all his map points are cached, but he's still exceeding the threshold?

I updated his key to a new one, so the error is gone at the moment, but we are still wanting a better understanding of the caching situation. It seems like it should only hit Google rarely with caching?

Also, have you guys considered integrating with leaflet, since it's an opensource/free system?

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: Anglais (English ) Espagnol (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi there

The caching mechanism reduces requests but it doesn't eliminate them, by any means.

When you enter an address the coordinates are looked up and cached, and these cached coordinates are used when filtering by distance, for example, and when maps are displayed these coordinates are used for the markers rather than addresses, which would need converting to coordinates, but dynamic maps still count as hits on the API for every page visit.

The only alternative is to create static maps, to create maps with required markers directly in Google and then embed these static maps on your site, there are no API implications from doing this.

When Google announced the pending price increases we added support for Microsoft Azure maps which has more generous/cheaper allowances, though you would need to verify and monitor that for yourself.

We have plans to add OpenStreetMap as a source (which leaflet uses), but no fixed timetable for when work on that will begin, so I can't give you any estimates I'm afraid.

Thanks for the info, Nigel.

I have the same problem with a client. What solution did you go with in the end? I am thinking of switching to Azure

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.