Skip Navigation

[Gelöst] calculation and storing in a new field

This support ticket is created vor 5 Jahre, 3 Monate. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 3 Antworten, has 2 Stimmen.

Last updated by Akhil vor 5 Jahre, 3 Monate.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author
Artikel

Hi waqar,

i have 2 number field[wpcf-property-size] , [wpcf-property-price]
i wan to perform calculation with it and store it in a custom field [wpcf-price-psf] (that/s already generated and has empty value) so when editing or creating new post, i wont have to enter the calculated field manually but upon saving the value will be updated accordingly. can you guide me on this pls. sample code will be very useful.

thanks.

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: Englisch (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Dee,

Thanks for asking! I'd be happy to help.

To programmatically update a custom field's value (when a post is added or edited from the admin area), you can use "save_post" hook.
( ref: https://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Action_Reference/save_post )

We have a guide on the topic at:
https://toolset.com/documentation/customizing-sites-using-php/updating-types-fields-using-php/

Example:

add_action( 'save_post', 'auto_calc_field', 99 );
function auto_calc_field( $post_id )
{
	if( get_post_type( $post_id ) == 'post-type-slug' ) {

$field_1 = get_post_meta($post_id, 'wpcf-field-slug-1', true);
		$field_2 = get_post_meta($post_id, 'wpcf-field-slug-2', true);
		$field_3 = get_post_meta($post_id, 'wpcf-field-slug-3', true);

// do the actual processing
		$processed_value = $field_1 + $field_2;

update_post_meta( $post_id, 'wpcf-field-slug-3', $processed_value, $field_3 );
	}
}

Note: You'll need to update the "post-type-slug" and the custom field slugs (with "wpcf-") to match the actual values from your website.

I hope this helps.

regards,
Waqar

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.