Skip Navigation

[Gelöst] Yoast breadcrumbs custom shortcode issue

This support ticket is created vor 6 Jahre, 11 Monate. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 2 Antworten, has 2 Stimmen.

Last updated by guyA-2 vor 6 Jahre, 11 Monate.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author
Artikel
Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 21.43.02.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 21.41.00.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 21.40.13.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 21.40.03.png

Hi there,

I am trying to: Add a breadcrumb shortcode to my theme using Yoast SEO and a custom shortcode that I've inserted into my header parent layout.

I've enabled breadcrumbs in yoast and created a custom breadcrumb shortcode.

But when I insert my shortcode into my layout it's just coming up with square brackets... this makes me think there's something wrong with my shortcode.

If you take a look at hidden link - you'll see a white band above the blue header. This is incorrect and seems to be inserted by Yoast after I turned on their breadcrumb functionality.

Then below the header you see my shortcode.
It seems like Yoast is inserting the breadcrumb (that says home on every page - without actually showing the breadcrumb trail.)

See my attached screengrabs of:

• how the header should look (no home breadcrumb above the header)
  • my custom shortcode
  • functions file
  • my layout in edit mode

Thanks in advance for your support.

Guy

Hi, did you test your shortcode without Types and Layouts enabled? I don't quite understand your setup, but I don't think it's coded correctly:

add_shortcode('yoast_breadcrumb', 'wildheart_breadcrumb');

This indicates that you are creating a new shortcode, 'yoast_breadcrumb'. When this shortcode is rendered, WP will look for the function 'wildheart_breadcrumb' and execute that function. However, I do not see this function anywhere in the code you have provided. Am I missing something?

More info about the shortcode API here:
https://codex.wordpress.org/Shortcode_API

if ( function exists('yoast_breadcrumb')) {
  yoast_breadcrumb('<p id="breadcrumb">', '</p>');
}

I'm not sure what this is supposed to do, or how it is supposed to relate to the shortcode. Here's an example of the shortcode implementation I use:

// custom shortcode to display results count based on View ID passed in as shortcode attribute
add_shortcode( 'ts_view_num_results', 'ts_view_num_results_func');
function ts_view_num_results_func($atts)
{
  $view_id = intval($atts['viewid']);
  $results = get_view_query_results( $view_id );
  return count($results);
}

Then I use the shortcode like this:

[ts_view_num_results viewid="123"]

Thanks Christian,

I spent another hour on this but couldn't get it working. I've never created a shortcode before so been muddling through it.

I've found a plugin that add the Yoast breadcrumb shortcode to our site.

I wanted to avoid using another plugin and also don't like the markup that this shortcode generates. But I need to keep moving forward.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.