Skip Navigation

[Résolu] Trying to understand what is possible in latest beta for front end form

This support ticket is created Il y a 5 années et 10 mois. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 11 réponses, has 2 voix.

Last updated by Stephen Il y a 5 années et 10 mois.

Assisted by: Beda.

Auteur
Publications
Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 10.22.13 AM.png

I am trying to build a front end form that more or less mimics what my backend post can do. In particular, I want to create a front end form where users can (as is permitted in the admin backend), add repeating groups of fields to the post. Toolset (I am using the BETAS) make this easy to accomplish on the backend just by creating custom field groups that contain repeating groups and then going to the custom post type to edit that, I just want to allow this same functionality on the front end.

I have been looking at lots of documentation on this site (including https://toolset.com/2018/02/types-views-and-cred-betas-with-post-relationships-and-repeating-field-groups) but have not found an answer to my simple question above.

I have included a screenshot of what my backend post looks like. I just thought using CRED (beta) I could get the same functionality on the front end, no?

hm, I found this thread that seems to indicate this is not supported yet? https://toolset.com/forums/topic/recurring-fields-in-cred-forms/

This is an absolute must in a current project of mine. If there is no support for this (even in latest beta), I guess I will have to use ACF or custom code something?

The Toolset Forms beta now supports repeating field groups to an extent. Single-level repeating field groups can be added using Toolset Forms, but there is not currently a good way to handle nested repeating field groups. You can also edit an RFG using Toolset Forms. The interface looks like a standard editor for a single post, rather than like the repeating list editor in wp-admin, but it's functional. I encourage you to check out the latest betas to see what's possible.

That is great news (if I am understanding you). So can you point me to how I can create the single level repeating groups within my form? I used the "Auto-Generate" button when creating my form and it did NOT include them. Where is the documentation on how to create this form? (or if you can explain it to me, I would be grateful). Thanks!

I think you're referring to a CRED form that is used to create or edit the post that contains the RFG, correct? You must actually create a separate CRED form specifically for the Repeating Field Group. A CRED form can only add or edit one post type, so you cannot accomplish both in the same form. When you generate the code for the RFG form, you will be shown a select field where the User can select the post where these RFG entries will be attached, kind of like the post relationship select field.

I don't understand. IF you look at the screenshot I attached, you will see that this is ONE post type that includes repeating fields, it is NOT the old style of creating child posts that used to be necessary. Are you telling me that behind the scenes these are still separate post types, just hidden??

I'm saying that you cannot edit or add repeating field groups from within a "Quote" post CRED form. You must edit them in a separate CRED form. From a technical perspective, yes Repeating Field Groups are a separate post type.

If I am understanding you, it is not possible to do what I want. I want a front end form that works the same way as the backend. A single form with repeating elements. So just to be clear: You are saying that what I want to do above (all on one page just like the backend admin works) is NOT possible with the current betas? If that is correct, will it ever be possible?

Not in a single form, no it will not be possible in the upcoming release. In theory you could create a custom page that includes an Edit Quote form, with a View of RFGs associated with that Quote, and output an Edit RFG form in each loop item. However, this would result in multiple forms on the same page, not a single form. It would also not be integrated tightly with the Add RFG process, which would happen in a separate location. I'm not aware of a plan to integrate all these management possibilities in a single form, but you could submit a feature request and our developers will evaluate it.

Well, this is disappointing. I just tested out the same scenario in ACF, and they do have this ability, so I guess I will go that route. Which is a shame, because I love working with toolset most of the time. If there is any way to request this functionality be included in upcoming CRED releases, please allow me to express my strong interest. Thanks for your help and explanations.

I don't think it's likely to happen given how close we are to a launch, but I will transfer this ticket to Beda who handles feature requests.

Thanks for adding this to your feature requests, it would seem to me to be an obvious need.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.