Skip Navigation

[Résolu] trying to understand response times with views

This support ticket is created Il y a 7 années et 6 mois. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 3 réponses, has 2 voix.

Last updated by adamP Il y a 7 années et 6 mois.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Auteur
Publications

I have been able to build a fairly complex web app with the use of toolset. It is an excellent plugin, and has allowed me to build something I never could of without it.

With that said, I am nearing the point of opening my site to the public, and need to make sure it can run efficiently. I'm not sure if this question is better suited for a server forum, but I am asking here first since you are the experts with toolset. The site is a membership site, with hopes of having several hundred/thousand users at some point, with probably several thousand new posts a day.

I have read everything about optimizing WordPress for high volumes, and think I have done a decent job with that at the moment. I am going to be trying to optimize apache/mysql soon as well (if needed).

My site runs on Google compute engine (1cpu w/3.75gb memory), and I can scale up as needed. The homepage gets a 82/100 on Google page insights, and an 85 on pingdom test. I think those are decent scores.

I am using Query Monitor to test page speeds on the site, and here is where my questions begin.

My homepage is a simple page describing the service I've created. It uses some content templates to pull in different sections, and maybe a view or two. Its query stat is

.36s load, 18mb, .01s query, 53queries

This obviously loads very quick, and seems to be comparable to the big sites.

Once the user logs in, they have multiple pages (acting as archives) to look at their info, as well as a super dashboard I've created that shows highlights of everything.

The archives range from
.8s load, 25mb, .05s query, 36 queries... to 1.8s, 40mb, .11s, 242q's for the larger ones.

My dashboard however is bigger, and this is a key page, and is the one you see when logged in.
2.57s load, 48mb, .04-.1s query, 451queries.

This seems like a huge amount of queries, but that's because I'm pulling alot of content for this page.

My question is trying to understand how much the view shortcodes impact load time. Even though there are 451 queries, the query time is only 40-100 milliseconds, which seems like a pretty quick query. The problem is that the page speed is pushing 3 seconds. The page has less browser rendering elements than the homepage (which loads in .5sec), so that's not what's slowing it down.

#1 - So what am i missing about page load time?
#2 - Is there a way to optimize?
#3 - If I used ajax to load the contents on the dashboard would that help (and how)?

I know this was lengthy, but hoping you can give some insight!
Thanks

Dear Adam,

Q1) So what am i missing about page load time? Is there a way to optimize?
There is a built-in cache feature within Views plugin, please check our document:
How to Use Views Custom Search on Large Sites
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/how-to-use-views-parametric-search-on-large-sites/

Q2) If I used ajax to load the contents on the dashboard would that help (and how)?
I don't think use ajax to load the content would help, I suggest you follow above document to setup your views, and avoid those cases: Cache is automatically turned off for Views

All my views are generated according to the logged in user. The whole site is user-generated content, so the views can't be cached, correct?

Well I was able to create an ajax solution that is working well. The views now all load on DOM-ready. So the page speed is now .4 seconds load time, and the dashboard "widgets" load within a couple seconds after. They show a spinner gif in the process. It's a better visual than the whole page taking 3 seconds to load.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.