Skip Navigation

Sorting a view by a parameter based on a custom field value

This support ticket is created Il y a 9 années et 10 mois. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 réponses, has 2 voix.

Last updated by Juan Il y a 9 années et 10 mois.

Assigned support staff: Caridad.

Auteur
Publications

Juan
Supporter

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi.

I'm trying to do a quite complex thing here.

I have two custom post types, one parent of the other. I've created a View to list my children ones on their parent page, and it works like a charm.

I've ordered this children by a custom field, but I need to order them by a parameter based on this custom field value instead of by the actual custom field vaue. Actually this is not supported by the WP_Query orderby parameter, but it's doable using a custom MySQL query and I'm quite sure there is a filter inside Views that could allow me to do it.

I've looked at the Views plugin code, and if I understand correctly the main query filter used to show this view is on embedded/inc/wpv-filter-query.php on the function wpv_filter_get_posts. On line 50, there is a filter to this WP_Query arguments used to reorder it and named wpv_filter_query.

This filtering is done on embedded/inc/wpv-filter-order-by-embedded.php on line 17 and through the function wpv_filter_get_order_arg. This function, on line 95, does the actual reordering by another filter to post_orderby using the function wpv_post_order_by_meta.

This wpv_post_order_by_meta function gets all the desired posts with the desired custom field and reorders them using the meta_value in a MySQL statement, returning a valid value to the post_orderby. filter

I've tried adding a filter to the post_orderby since I can't do a normal WP_Query modification, with no luck at all. I've seen no other filter available to modify any MySQL statement related to reordering.

I would appreciate any advice or correction. I know I have to write a filter hooked into Views routines, I have no problem with it. I just can't point to where it is.

Thanks in advance.

Dear Depaco,

Since WP_Query doesn't support that parameter, neither will Views. Your idea of using the posts_orderby filter is correct, but watch out for the extra 's', its posts_orderby. If you see its not working you might have to give it higher priority.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can assist you with.

Regards,
Caridad

Juan
Supporter

Hi Caridad.

Thanks for your answer.

I gave it a quite high priority (tried even with 2000) with no luck: my filter just adds one little change - CHAR_LENGTH({$order_by_value}) instead of {$order_by_value} - to the MySQL statement and it seems not to be fired at all. In fact, I kind of hacked this filter on the original plugin code on embedded/inc/wpv-filter-order-by-embedded.php on line 128 and it seems not to be doing anything. Even setting by hand the order to ASC or DESC instead of {$orderby_meta['order']} doesn't change the output..

I checked the extra 's' on the 'posts_orderby' filter, and I think I found an error on embedded/inc/wpv-filter-order-by-embedded.php on line 138: this extra 's' is missing there.

I wrote a workaround to store this custom field string length on another custom field created outside of Types. After adding this field to Custom Fields Control inside Types and making it numeric, I can set it as the sorting order for my View, but behaves as if it were a text field - i.e. 4>11 -, so there is a bug here too.

Hope it helps. I'm not sure if this is solvable, but any extra advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Juan.

Dear Depaco,

This sort of code works fine here in my tests:

add_filter('posts_orderby', 'my_client_order', 10, 2);
function my_client_order($order, $q) {
       return 'CHAR_LENGTH(post_title) ASC';
}

About the missing 's', I have notified the developers about it.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can assist you with.

Regards,
Caridad

Juan
Supporter

Hi Caridad.

I see where my problem was: I was relying on global $orderby_meta, as seen on wpv_post_order_by_meta, but it renders as an empty array. I needed to reorder an specific query so I checked against that $query query_vars instead and everything works fine now.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Juan de Paco.