Skip Navigation

[Résolu] Site Search

This support ticket is created Il y a 4 années et 2 mois. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 32 réponses, has 2 voix.

Last updated by suzyo Il y a 4 années et 1 mois.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Auteur
Publications
search result taxonomy.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 5.32.05 PM.png
search result native.png

Sigh. Confused about something that should be simple. (Using Genesis child.) As you can see from the attached images, the archive template is not being applied to the search term. It does work with taxonomy searches. What to do?

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: Anglais (English ) Espagnol (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

That looks like you have search results set to use that custom archive correctly.

If it is not working, I wonder if the theme has special handling for the search archive which prevents the custom archive from taking over.

Can you switch theme to, say, twentynineteen, and see if it works?

I'm guessing it will.

Then try the parent Genesis theme. What happens then?

Nope, still the same hideo mess. Tried with 2020 and with Genesis parent.

Do you suppose I should override Genesis search.php with my own?

Nigel
Supporter

Something else appears to be the problem.

You say you tested it with twentytwenty theme and it doesn't work, but it should (I checked on my own site).

So the theme doesn't appear to be the problem, and your settings look right.

In which case I'm going to need a copy of the site for testing: hidden link

Could you please create a backup with Duplicator (or All in One WP Migration if you prefer), omitting your media uploads to keep the size down, and share a link to the backup files on dropbox or similar here (they will be hidden from other users).

Hi, Nigel! I tried Duplicator on my staging site and it would not run. Could you possibly use my login info and look at it that way? Cheers.

Nigel
Supporter

Sure, let me set a private reply to get site credentials from you.

Nigel
Supporter

The site itself is password protected, I need that password, too, to be able to reach the login page.

Could you edit your last reply and provide that, too, please?

I need another private reply. Thought I did add it. You don't have something that starts with dw?

Nigel
Supporter

You can just edit the last private reply, but I'll set up another one for you.

I now see that there is a dw... string appended to the URL you provided, and I tried that as the password on the flywheel page but it doesn't work unfortunately.

Nigel
Supporter

Screenshot 2020-02-06 at 08.18.20.png

When I click the link it throws up the authentification dialog shown in the screenshot.

The username and password you provided don't work there (I expect they are for a WordPress login page protected by this dialog), nor does using flywheel as the username—which it says to—and then extracting the dw... part of the URL and using that as a password).

So I'm still unable to get in.

We seem to be in very different timezones, but from the timing of your replies I'm not sure we have anyone working who overlaps with you otherwise I would re-assign this ticket.

Maybe we can try something else.

When Duplicator doesn't work, I usually find that All in One WP Migration does (indeed, that's what I would be trying if I could access your site).

So could you try to create a copy with that plugin and share the archive with me?

Be sure to exclude your media library, post revisions etc. to keep the file size down.

Oh Lord. That one is mmmmmmm and ggggggg, 7 of each. Sorry.

Nigel
Supporter

Screenshot 2020-02-07 at 08.21.56.png
Screenshot 2020-02-07 at 08.47.45.png

Thank you.

I managed to get into your site.

It looks like the custom archive isn't being used for the search results, so I added a couple of headings to it and checked a search for 'hotel' on the front end and the headings are shown, so the custom archive is being used (screenshot).

I removed those (they mess with the layout).

The problem appears to be that some of your posts have content, and therefore include an excerpt, while many—most—do not (second screenshot).

I didn't dig too deep into why the layout is different for those posts without an excerpt, but it looks like a CSS issue related to flexbox.

In any case, the custom archive is being used correctly on the search results page.

Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 3.51.09 PM.png

Every single post on the site has an excerpt. All of the other results using this custom archive are working. This ain't it.

Same archive, same CSS, same everything, but with CPT results instead of built-in search results, image attached.

Grrrr. It was Relevanssi, which I don't intend to use in production. Do you have a rec for a site search? Thanks for your time, Nigel.

Nigel
Supporter

Hmm. Relevanssi I would expect to modify the order of search results (according to its ranking) but not the content of the search results.

You don't intend to use Relevanssi anyway? Or you don't intent to use it because of this problem?

If it's because of this problem I can look into it further, because it is unexpected.

I don't have an alternative recommendation, because we have an integration with Relevanssi and hence that's the plugin we tend to steer users towards.

You would need to try the alternative(s) and see if they present any problems or not.

It looked like your posts didn't have excerpty, btw, because there is no post content section when editing them (or the ones I checked), but it seems you just re-organised the layout with a custom admin plugin.

If you want me to look into Relevanssi further, let me know and I will.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.