Skip Navigation

[Résolu] Site keys

This support ticket is created Il y a 5 années et 10 mois. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 2 réponses, has 2 voix.

Last updated by DavidW2160 Il y a 5 années et 10 mois.

Auteur
Publications

Keys are time consuming when developing a site. My development process is frequently: clear the wp database, reenable modules, try again, clear, reenable, etc... This has been true trying to use your reference sites. Two possible improvements come to mind:
1) Have a developer key for development sites. One key, multiple sites. Much easier to record somewhere without accessing the toolset.com. The downside of this is that a customer could move their domain away from the developer and keep access to the modules. I guess that would fall on the developer, or perhaps the key would need to be changed annually. I would personally find it useful for all my "test.{domain}" sites.
2) Store a site's key outside the web hierarchy (I do this with aes keys for my drupal development), and allow key access by path stored in the wp-config.php file, or even store the key itself in the wp-config.php file (e.g. TOOLSET_KEY_PATH = '/var/keys/mysite.com/toolsetkey.txt' or TOOLSET_KEY='A1B3dkvi33'). Maybe even a file in the document root, the way google does its site verification (e.g. toolsetkey.html, with content A1B3dkvi33). Any of these would all a developer to set the key once and never have to revisit toolset.com to get it if they need it following a database reset.

You don't need to add a key to a development site.
Toolset works just fine without the registration

On development sites, you can register if you need to use the Installer, but usually, I register only the "real" site.
That is as well the idea behind the whole registry thing, as for example, basic users would not be able to even run a development site, as they can register only one site.

But, since Toolset works fine without it, you can easily run a staging server site and a live site, where you actually register and as well get the support / Updates for

Does that help as an immediate solution?

I guess I should have read the error message -- yes, my development site works just fine without a key. I hate warning messages though, so I may still add it while I'm working. Thanks for the explanation.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.