Skip Navigation

[Résolu] select box with users' custom fields

This support ticket is created Il y a 4 années et 7 mois. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 4 réponses, has 2 voix.

Last updated by Ido Angel Il y a 4 années et 7 mois.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Auteur
Publications

hey,
i'm using this in a view to filter posts by author:

add_shortcode("admin-list-of-authors", "admin_list_of_authors");
function admin_list_of_authors() {
  $out = '<option value="">--choose--</option>';
  $users = get_users();
  foreach ($users as $user) {
    $out .= '<option value="' . $user->ID . '">' . $user->display_name . '</a>';
  }
  return $out;
}

It works great - but is there an option to show not the display_name, but a custom field? such as my clinic-name? when I insert this instead of "display_name" i get nothing.

thx!

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: Anglais (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Ido,

Thanks for asking! I'd be happy to help.

To get the value of a user's custom field through his/her ID, you can use "types_render_usermeta" function, from Types Fields API:
https://toolset.com/documentation/customizing-sites-using-php/functions/

Example:

$field_value = types_render_usermeta( "clinic-name", array( "user_current" => false, "user_id" => $user->ID ));

You can use this inside your shortcode's loop and you'll have the field's value for the current user in "$field_value".

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need any further assistance around this.

regards,
Waqar

thx Waqar!

I'm not trying to get the current user, I'm trying to get a list of all users.
It worked before, the only thing that I wanted to change was that the options in the select box will display not the username, but the custom field "clinic-name").

I tried:

add_shortcode("list-of-authors", "list_of_authors");
function list_of_authors() {
	$field_value = types_render_usermeta( "clinic-name", array( "user_current" => false, "user_id" => $user->ID ));
  $out = '<option value="">כולם</option>';
  $users = get_users();
  foreach ($users as $user) {
    $out .= '<option value="' . $user->ID . '">' . $field_value . '</a>';
  }
  return $out;
}

But that gives me only the current user.

What did I do wrong?
Thx!

Ido

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: Anglais (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Ido,

Thanks for writing back and sorry if my message caused confusion.

When I wrote "You can use this inside your shortcode's loop", I meant inside the "foreach { ... }" block.
( screenshot: hidden link )

That "foreach" block is cycling through the user's list one user per iteration, which means that in each loop's iteration "$user->ID" will return the ID of a different user in that list.
( this is what I referred to as the current user and not the currently logged-in user )

Note: with the current position of $field_value, you're only getting currently logged-in user's value because at that point $user->ID is not defined and "user_id" gets a blank value, and the "types_render_usermeta" function falls back to return the value from the currently logged-in user.

I hope this clarfies.

regards,
Waqar

Perfect, Waqar - thx! works like a charm 🙂

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.