Skip Navigation

[Résolu] Recommended Posts Section

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 réponses, has 2 voix.

Last updated by Eric Il y a 8 années.

Assigned support staff: Adriano.

Auteur
Publications

Hello,

This may be a tall order for Types/Views, but I thought I'd ask…

I'm developing a site that requires a "recommended posts" section, with specific posts to be selected in the WP page editor, then displayed after the page content on the front-end. The end result would be something like this:

Header
Page Title
Body Content
------------------------
Recommended Posts:
Some Post Title
"Call to Action"
button link

Another Post Title
"Call to Action"
button link

One More Post Title
"Call to Action"
button link
-----------------------
Footer

There will be 4 custom post types involved, which also make use of a couple important custom fields: "Call to Action" and "Button Text." The "Call to Action" and "Button Text" fields will be completed when writing the actual custom posts, not as part of the Recommended Posts function.

When a user is creating a page, I'd like to give them the ability to select 3 posts which will be displayed as "recommended", preferably via select menus, something like:

Recommended Post 1
[select post type] [select post title]

Recommended Post 2

Recommended Post 3

There's a plugin that actually offers most of this functionality (http://wordpress.org/plugins/author-recommended-posts/). With it, I can select posts from Types custom post types to display, but I can't seem to get the Types custom fields to display. So, my options are to try and hack the plugin or find a way to offer all this functionality with Types/Views.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Eric

Dear Eric,

You could use a custom taxonomy to make the conection between the posts like you can see here: https://toolset.com/faq/how-do-i-associate-one-child-with-several-parents-of-the-same-type/

So you can list the recommended posts by this taxonomy in the front end.

Please let me know if you are satisfied with my answer and if I can help you with any other questions you might have.

I just received email informing me that this ticket is marked closed and resolved! C'mon guys, at least give me a couple days to try implementing your suggestion before closing the ticket. 🙂

The fact is, I'm still wrestling with this problem. It's complicated (for me anyway), and the URL referenced above didn't provide all the answers. I've spent 5-6 hours trying to figure this out, using an "intermediary custom post type," but can't quite get it right. I have a feeling it'd take an expert about 5 minutes. If you understand what I'm shooting for, and can provide more detailed help that'd be great.

Screen Shot 2013-09-04 at 12.01.11 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-09-04 at 12.01.27 AM.png

Using intermediary custom post types for each of the post types that I want to recommend in the page editor, I was able to come up with a decent, but not great solution. I have a couple issues with it.

1. It's very clunky looking.
2. There's no way for the user to reorder the post types if they choose.

I've attached a few screen grabs, one is from the WP editor, the other shows the results on the page.

Do you have any thoughts for how I might consolidate the look of this in the editor, as well as (and even more importantly) provide a method for the user to reorder the posts?

Thanks,
Eric

Dear Eric,

I think that use a custom taxonomy is more easy to configure it, i always have use it. That's not the most simple feature that you can do with Toolset I should say, so would be nice if you create a Discover site (discover-wp.com) and preconfigure the things there, I will help you to achieve it properly.

When it is created please share the credentials with me, my email is adriano.f@onthegosystems.com. Don't forget to place the URL ticket in the subject's email to reference.

Thanks Adriano!

I emailed you my login credentials AND also sent an invite to the site via "Add Exiting User".

I created the 4 custom post types, and added some content for testing. I didn't know if you wanted me to recreate my Views and View Template, or not. Let me know...

Thanks again,
Eric

BTW, the functionality I'm trying to achieve with Types/Views is similar to this: http://wordpress.org/plugins/author-recommended-posts/

It's a nice little plugin, but limited. It only displays the post title and featured image. With Types/Views I'm hoping to display the Title and a few custom fields, as well as control the style of each recommended post with CSS. For example, if the recommended post is an Article, wrap it in an "article" class, or a Case Study in a "case-study" class, etc.

Dear Eric,

It is done, take a look here: hidden link

What I did:

1) I've created a custom taxonomy (Recommended) to connect Post x Page
2) I've created a View with a filter "Select posts with taxonomy: Recommended the same as the current page"
3) I've embed the View in the Page to show which is recommended

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the help, Adriano, but that didn't achieve what I was shooting for. I think it might be more than what Types/Views was designed for.

I am having some luck customizing the plugin I mentioned. That, in combination with my custom post types will probably do the trick.