Skip Navigation

[Résolu] Need ideas please – Toolset and wpml compatible gallery system

This support ticket is created Il y a 7 années et 9 mois. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 4 réponses, has 2 voix.

Last updated by Alan Il y a 7 années et 8 mois.

Assisted by: Beda.

Auteur
Publications

I'm looking for ideas and suggestions please.

I need to develop a site to host a library of thousands of images.
They will be categorised but I'd also want to offer a parametric search, and possibly even use the new maps feature to geo tag each photo so people can search via a map. User uploads/submissions would also be a nice feature.

The site must be bilingual, and I've got wpml for that.

Ideally I would also like to offer the option for people to buy hi-res downloads or even physical prints of the images.

Of course it would be nice if it all looked pretty too, so I've looked at plugins like next gen gallery plus (or pro), and the Envira gallery system, but I'm not sure if these will work nicely in terms of integrating with the Toolset parametric search functions, or wpml, or user submitted content.

Can anyone offer ideas for the best approach to take?

Thanks

1. I need to develop a site to host a library of thousands of images.

Let me put it straight, I would NOT use WordPress native Media elements for this, but, instead create a Post Type with a Field "image" and then, upload the images to it.
It requires a new post each image (easy to use in sliders), or a repeating Image field, a bit more complex for sliders.

I am saying this because there are few issues with Toolset and native Media elements if queried as naked media (not via Post Type).

Also categorising and adding meta to the "images" is way easier if those are in a Post Type stored as a field, instead of "naked" WordPress media.
You can as example use Child Relations with this, something you can not with bare Media elements.
(or at least it will create some unexpected results)

All other of your requirements fall into above statement as well

2. Multilinguality isn't a problem if you use Post Types, Toolset and WPML.
For content and media Translation you will have to refer to the WPML forums.

3. Buy things, here I suggest WooCommerce, which is integrated with Views, CRED and WPML.
It would require a Shop, though.

A solution I used in past is a very simple Paypal API link on each Image, where the User clicks and buys the product directly via Paypal.
But that is something you need to develop manually as Toolset isn't integrating PayPal.
But it's definitely worth to have a look:
hidden link

4. About "how it looks", I personally feel, Toolset is enough, with a proper Style (Framework) enqueued to your Theme.
It spares you the headaches of compatibility.
I would for sure give this a try:
hidden link
(PRO Version, NOT for Bootstrap 4.0)
It has amazing helper classes, modified gallery style, etc.
With a few JS callbacks in Views, this also works with Toolset.

I would not fear much compatibility with Toolset, regarding Galleries, but I would make sure WPML declares the plugin (if you plan to use one) as compatible.
This is because many Plugins out there are storing things uncommonly and this can generate issues when translating.

MDB gallery - images not same size.jpg

Hi Beda,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and detailed reply.
I've taken on board everything you said - I set up a test site and created a new CPT with an image field to hold the images, rather than using WP native media.
I have added the free version of MDB Bootstrap, which looks fantastic and I would have no hesitation in buying the PRO version.

I have set up a test page using the "Cards" components of MDB, (outlined here: hidden link ) but I am having problems getting the images to resize equally. I've tried various resize options - crop, proportional, pad etc, and tried dabbling with setting widths and heights etc, but I can't get it to resize so that each image in a row is the same height. (Please see screenshot)

Can you advise on this image size issue please?

Also, I notice that the drop down list on the "Category" button isn't right. The button itself is styled according to the MDB styles, but once clicked, the behaviour is rather odd - you have to hold and press to see the options, then choose one. It doesn't behave exactly like the example at hidden link
Visually, the css style of the select options seem to be based on the parent theme rather than the MDB styles.

The example code from the MDB site is as follows:

<div class="dropdown">
  <button class="btn btn-primary dropdown-toggle" type="button" id="dropdownMenu1" data-toggle="dropdown" aria-haspopup="true" aria-expanded="false">
    Dropdown
  </button>
  <div class="dropdown-menu" aria-labelledby="dropdownMenu1">
    <a class="dropdown-item" href="#">Action</a>
    <a class="dropdown-item" href="#">Another action</a>
    <a class="dropdown-item" href="#">Something else here</a>
  </div>
</div>

Here is my Toolset version:

[wpv-filter-controls]
<div class="dropdown">
  	<button class="btn btn-primary dropdown-toggle" type="button" id="dropdownMenu1" data-toggle="dropdown" aria-haspopup="true" aria-expanded="false">
    Category
  	</button>
  	<div class="dropdown-menu" aria-labelledby="dropdownMenu1">
[wpv-control taxonomy="category" url_param="wpv-category" type="select" class="dropdown-item"]
	</div>
</div>
[/wpv-filter-controls]

In the JS section, the following line is included:

$('.dropdown-toggle').dropdown()

I'd be grateful if you can provide some advice about this, as I really like your suggestion to use MDB Bootstrap, but I need to be sure that I will know how to integrate it with Toolset.

Many thanks for your help, much appreciated!

My test page is here:
hidden link

Alan

If I recall right they had some Custom JS to add to make DropDowns work, and always, in WordPress you will need to use jQuery instead of $ in your Custom JS.
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/adding-custom-javascript-views/

Please try to have a look at this support thread in MDB:
(regarding images)
hidden link
(regarding dropdown)
hidden link

Please aknowledge that MDB is in no way related to Toolset and we cant assist it. It was just a Suggestion, you may also use Bootstrap or any other Framewrok you like.

Regarding the image resizing, it shoudl work fine when you insert the Image with the GUI of Views, you will see the different resize options.
This here is the DOC for the possible settings:
https://toolset.com/documentation/customizing-sites-using-php/functions/#image

Please if this does not work, can you request our help in a speecifc dedicated Ticket?
This is in order to focus on that issue only, and give best possible assistance.

Thanks Beda, you've been a big help.
Alan

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.