Skip Navigation

[Résolu] Is there a way to duplicate custom field groups?

Ce fil est résolu. Voici une description du problème et la solution proposée.

Problem:
Can I duplicate Custom Field Groups?

Solution:
No.
But, you can re-use Fields, when you add a new Group and choose what fields to insert, you will see there is an option to "Choose from previously created fields".

100% of people find this useful.

This support ticket is created Il y a 6 années et 10 mois. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 4 réponses, has 2 voix.

Last updated by kristinA Il y a 6 années et 10 mois.

Assisted by: Beda.

Auteur
Publications

Is there a way to duplicate a custom field group? I have a large group and I'd like to duplicate it, make some changes, and have it be a different group for a different custom post type with many similar fields.

Is this possible? I don't see one in the list of all groups (that would be SO nice). Is there any sort of workaround that would save all that setup?

Thanks!

No, there is no way to duplicate a entire Post Field's Group.

But, you can re-use Fields, when you add a new Group and choose what fields to insert, you will see there is an option to "Choose from previously created fields".

I hope that helps.

Thank you! I've done that and yes, it helps a LOT! Saved me a lot of time.

But, I'm a little confused about what happens in the database (which I ought to understand a lot better than I do.) Am I going to have conflicts with different CPTs sharing the same fields? How is that structured in the database?

Thanks again!!!

No, that's not an issue.

See, WordPress stores Custom Fields in a table called postmeta.

This references to the Posts by the post_id (where the Meta Field is saved for), a meta_id which is an unique ID for the meta field, a meta_key, this is the name of the field, and the meta_value (value of the field)

Since each Custom field has this, it doesn't matter if 2 fields have the same slug (meta_key).
They still got a different meta_id and post_id.

You can just proceed working as you used to, if the Meta Key (name of field) is suitable for you after duplicating it.

Thank you! That helps a lot!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.