I now have several nested taxonomy views but if I put a post view inside the last taxonomy view, it will only inherit terms from the immediate parent view and not the grandparent taxonomy view.
Grandparent Taxonomy View (Objects = Fruits or Vegetables)
- Parent Taxonomy View (Colour = Green or Red)
- Post View: filter by parent for colour and objects doesn't work (no posts found), filter by parent for colour alone shows all posts that are Green (all Green Fruits and all Green Vegetables).
Is there a way to inherit filters from the grandparent view?
In your case, I can't see there is any relationship between Taxonomy "Objects" and "Colour". so it is not possible to "inherit filters from the grandparent view".
I suggest you try merge them into one custom Taxonomy, for example:
Taxonomy "Objects and Colour"
1) grandparent view list top level terms of Taxonomy "Objects and Colour"
2) parent view list terms of Taxonomy "Objects and Colour" under grandparent view
3) child view list posts of parent view