Skip Navigation

[Résolu] ' in a Paragraph block displays correctly, same char in Fields and Text does not

This support ticket is created Il y a 3 années et 5 mois. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

Marqué : 

This topic contains 17 réponses, has 3 voix.

Last updated by Nigel Il y a 2 années et 11 mois.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Auteur
Publications
Wrong quotation mark after typing in.png
How it looks in HTML - incorrect.png
Adding HTML code.png
How it looks in HTML - correct after using HTML code.png
Back End Visual - looking correct.png
Front End looking correct.png

If I use ' in a Paragraph block displays correctly, using the same character in Fields and Text it does not.

I solved it by using

’

in the HTML. If you switch to Visual and back again to the HTML tab you can see it looks like a different character (see How it looks in HTML - correct after using HTML code vs How it looks in HTML - incorrect).

I hope the images illustrate the small issue.

sq.JPG

Hello,

I have tried the same codes a you mentioned above in my localhost with a fresh WP installation + the latest version of Toolset plugins, both Paragraph block and " Fields and Text" block output the single quote character as same HTML encode:

‘

See my screenshot sq.JPG

So the problem is abnormal, please check the compatibility issue in your website:
In case it is a compatibility problem, please deactivate all other plugins, and switch to wordpress default theme 2020, deactivate all custom PHP/JS code snippets, and test again

Did you type in that character just using the keyboard or add the code, I'm not quite sure from your reply?

Many thanks, Lins

I have tried the codes you mentioned in screenshot:
https://toolset.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/1816021-How_it_looks_in_HTML_correct_after_using_HTML_code.png

[wpv-post-title]'s

In both paragraph block and "Fields and Text" block, and get the same result:

‘

Is there any missing?

Yes, as mentioned, the code is what I used to solve the problem. Can you try just typing in the single quote character. Thank you.

I have tried it in both paragraph block and "Fields and Text" block, just typing in the single quote character, and get the same result:

”

See my screenshot sq3.JPG

According to ascii document:
hidden link
#8221 is the HTML encodes of right double quotation mark

IMG_20201021_095431931~2.jpg

Hi, entering an HTML code will solve the problem, that's what I already did to solve the issue. Ignore the HTML code. Can your just TYPE the single quote/possessive apostrophe using ONLY the keyboard.

Works in a Paragraph block, not in the Fields and Text. It will display on the front end as in my image 'Wrong quotation mark after typing in'

Yes, I have tried it in as you mentioned above, and got same result in both paragraph block and "Fields and Text" block, there is an issue you might missed, if one paragraph has two single quote characters, then it will output result as:

‘      ’

Please check if there is any other single quote character in same paragraph

Screenshot_20201026-075003.png

There isn't a second single quote character in the same Fields and Text block, which is the last paragraph in the attachment. This is the block that has the problem.

There is in a Paragraph block before - see at the top of the attachment - 'school's Safeguarding Children Policy' which uses a single quote. Could this affect the Fields and Text block of the last paragraph?

Here is a demo site:
hidden link
user/pass: xgren/111111

The Fields and Text block page:
hidden link
And the paragraph page:
hidden link

Both of them output single quote as same HTML encoded:

‘

You will need to check it in the HTML source codes.

Can you duplicate the same problem in above test site?thanks

Wrong quotation mark after typing in.png
Single Quote.png
Front End looking correct.png

I have to admit they look fine on the screen. They are straighter than how they display on my site. So compare the top section of 'Single Quote' (your demo site) and 'Front End looking correct'.

When I looked at the code using Firefox Inspector, I noticed that in the HTML they are displayed differently depending on if it's a Paragraph Block or Fields and Text blocks.

On my site this is exactly how it ended up displaying (see 'Wrong quotation mark after typing in'). Albeit not on your demo site - even though the HTML in the inspector on your demo site there is a difference between the two - see the red boxes in the Single Quote image. First is a Paragraph block, second two are Fields and Text blocks.

So how it actually displays on my site, is as it is displayed exactly in the HTML of your Demo site. (Unless for the Fields and Text block I've manually added the HTML code instead of just typing in a quote).

I have tried to copy your codes into the "Paragraph block" page:
hidden link

And I get the same results as "Fields and Text block":
hidden link

So the problem only exists in your website, can you confirm it?
If it is, then there should be some other compatibility issue in your website:

Please try as my first answer above:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/in-a-paragraph-block-displays-correctly-same-char-in-fields-and-text-does-not/#post-1817201
In case it is a compatibility problem, please deactivate all other plugins, and switch to wordpress default theme 2020, deactivate all custom PHP/JS code snippets, and test again

1828801-Single_Quote_2.png
Screenshot_20201030-083429.png

Codes solve my problem.

I don't want you to use codes. Ignore codes. Just use the keyboard.

Your website, if you inspect the HTML you will see that the same quote mark, ALL typed in with the keyboard, displays differently if in a Paragraph block vs a Fields and Text block. Look closely at the Single Quote image attached. These were just all typed in. Why? Shouldn't they all be the same? This is what I see on my own website.

JFYI I looked at your link. On your site they display differently too. Included is a picture of your second link. So you have the same problem.

As I mentioned above, all single quote are inputted with keyboard, and both "Paragraph block" and "Fields and Text block" get the same result:
hidden link
hidden link

You just need to compare above two pages.

Field.png
Apostrophe.png

Can you just look at the Text and Field block, add a field and an apostrophe immediately after the field. In the browser inspector they do look different.

I think there isn't something quite right, but I appreciate this is a tiny thing that can be corrected 'manually' so I don't mind if you want to close the issue.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.