Skip Navigation

[Résolu] i added user fields – but can't see them on frontend user profile

This support ticket is created Il y a 7 années et 9 mois. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

This topic contains 5 réponses, has 2 voix.

Last updated by Nigel Il y a 7 années et 9 mois.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Auteur
Publications

I am trying to: show fields i created in front end

I visited this URL:hidden link

I expected to see: my user fields

Instead, I got: nothing

you can go to hidden link
user: xxxx
password: xxxx

and see 🙂
thanks!

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: Anglais (English ) Espagnol (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

When you add user fields using Types they will automatically appear in the admin pages when editing a user, but for them to appear on the front end you have to output them using the Views shortcodes (either manually entering the shortcodes, or using the Fields and Views button in the edit screens).

If you don't explicitly output them anywhere then, no, they won't appear.

See the documentation here: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/displaying-wordpress-user-fields/

thx nigel,
the user profile page (for example: hidden link), it is supposed to show all user info which appears in the user panel.
it's a directory theme and there's a frontend dashboard for user registration which "speaks" with the user profile at the backend.
If I get you correctly, what you're saying is that I should bypass the "normal" user page (hidden link) and create a view for it. OK - I have:
In the view I inserted the shortcodes of the fields I created. I chose the content selction for all users in any role and assigned the fields in shortcode. When I scanned where it appears, it showed nothing, so I created a template and inserted the view there.
The theme has a page for user profile. You need to assigned the theme's user template to it. I did, and then assigned the content template I created.
And nothing. User page still looks the same.

any chance for an answer soon? thx 🙂

ANYONE?

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: Anglais (English ) Espagnol (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

First, let me apologise for the delay in replying to you, I was travelling on Friday and several members of Toolset support were also absent and the remaining members were unable to cover everyone's queues.

I can't tell just from the WP admin pages, but your theme evidently provides a custom author page. You may be able to work with it to add the Types user fields, or replace it with your own design using Toolset.

I don't know the theme so I can't tell you how it customises the author page – look to see if there is a dedicated author.php template file in the theme directory. If there is and you are comfortable editing it you can see how to render the Types user fields on this page: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/displaying-wordpress-user-fields/

Note that if you try to access the fields using non-Types functions or shortcodes, then you should be aware that they are stored in the database with the prefix "wpcf-", so if you had a custom field with a slug of "height" then that would be stored as "wpcf-height" in the usermeta table.

If you want to take control of the author archives then you can override them by creating a new one at Toolset > WordPress Archives. That is where you get to design the page layout and insert your shortcodes to display both the normal WP fields and the custom fields created in Types.

In the Loop Output editor, you can, for example, add fields about the author before the [wpv-items-found] shortcode, which is where you would then list the articles published by that author.

Let me know how you get on, and, again, apologies for the delay.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.