Skip Navigation

[Résolu] Having Layouts Active Prevents Template Swapping

This support ticket is created Il y a 4 années et 11 mois. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 16 réponses, has 2 voix.

Last updated by Shane Il y a 2 années et 9 mois.

Assisted by: Shane.

Auteur
Publications

I am trying to:

Change the active template on any page.

I expected to see:

The selected template saves and becomes active.

Instead, I got:

The page saves and claims everything is fine, but when you refresh the live page nothing has changed, then refreshing the editor will show that the template is still the same as it was before you updated it.

Update, it seems that it is only the Contact page that is being effected for some reason. Activating the Layouts plugin constantly forces it back to the default template, even though I've never used layouts for that page and there is no layout associated with it.

Really confused now.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: Anglais (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Dave,

Would you mind allowing me to have admin access to this page so that I can quickly have a look at the issue ?

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Screenshot 2019-04-29 at 10.54.41 AM.png

Hi Dave,

I'm getting a "Site can't be reached error"

Could you check on this and let me know when i can have a look.

Thanks,
Shane

Sorry, typo its .co.uk

hidden link

Ok, now I'm not sure. I think it is happening to any page when you update it as I've just observed the same behaviour on the home page as well. Simply accessing it doesn't seem to force it to change so I'm assuming it's something to do with the hook for the save / update function.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Dave,

Not sure what you are experiencing because i checked on a few pages and I was able to make changes to the layout and it was reflected on the frontend.

I've also set the page to stop using the layout and that also works.

Perhaps I need the exact replication steps or the exacts steps you are doing to get the issue.

Thanks,
Shane

It seems to be purely isolated to page templates, nothing else, and it also seems to be nothing to do with using layouts, merely having it active.

If you go to the contact page it should say it is using no layouts and the default template.

If you change the template to either 'contact' or 'basic' and save it then this should change the header bar on the front end to a narrower one with a different positioning for the breadcrumbs and a lighter, solid blue background.

The page with say it updates fine but then refreshing the front end will show no changes and if you refresh or press update again on the backend editor then it will show that the template selected is the default template again.

I deactivated every plugin and reactivated them one by one and it was Layouts causing it. I turned them all back on accept Layouts and it didn't happen, I turned everything except Layouts off and it still happened, so I'm pretty sure it's something to do with it.

Does that make anything clearer? I'd make a video if I could to show you but I don't know how I could get one to you.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

However I was not experiencing the issue. I changed the page to the "basic" template and it seems to work on the frontend.

If you check now you should see the template has changed.

Do you plan on working with Layouts ?

Please let me know.
Thanks,
Shane

Please send me a private message request and I will make you a video as it is very much still happening so I'm going to need to show you.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Dave,

Here is the private message

Shane
Supporter

Hi Dave,

I think its an issue with your particular site and the block editor.

There is a simple workaround, since you are planning on using Layouts to do some of your page customizations then you can just use the classic editor for wordpress.

I've set in our Toolset settings for the Pages to allow you to switch to the classic editor on demand. This way you can set the page template without any issues.

Please let me know if this helps as I wasn't able to replicate the issue on a fresh install.

Thanks,
Shane

I appreciate what you're saying but I could already work around it, I'm trying to figure out what it is happening and try to fix it as it is really irritating.

I've never encountered this with any other installation and generally speaking problems like this are due to some form of database corruption, which this is not. So I'd really appreciate some more digging and trying to figure this out as I have proven to you that Layouts is causing this for some reason.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Dave,

Would you mind if I took a copy of the site to submit for further debugging by our 2nd tier supporters?

Please let me know.
Thanks,
Shane

Please feel free, it's driving me up the wall and I need to figure it out so I would very much appreciate that. Thank you.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.