Skip Navigation

[Résolu] Essential Grid within Toolset View?

This support ticket is created Il y a 7 années et 6 mois. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

This topic contains 5 réponses, has 2 voix.

Last updated by Brent Urbanski Il y a 7 années et 6 mois.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Auteur
Publications

I really like how easy it is to customize Essential Grid layouts but the plugin lacks the ability to filter and sort custom fields created by Types.

I am now trying to utilize the powerful sorting and filtering functionality of Views and output the results within an Essential Grid layout. Do you know if this is possible?

Thanks,
Brent

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: Anglais (English ) Espagnol (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

Hi Brent

I haven't used the Essential Grid plugin, but I read through some of the documentation to see how it works.

You might be able to get this working if you combine the API of essential grids and the API of views, but for that you need to be pretty comfortable writing some custom PHP, and it also depends upon the level of integration you are aiming for, e.g. if you want to use a view with query filters to determine what posts will be added to the grid that may be do-able, but if you want to use a custom parametric search in views and have the output displayed as a grid and to be able to update those results by using filters, that is going to be rather more complex.

Browsing the advanced documentation for Essential Grids it appears that they have filters to alter the query used to retrieve the posts that will be displayed in the grid (e.g. hidden link).

I can't do it for you, but my first instinct would be to try creating a view, adding the shortcode for the grid in the view output section, having the loop output empty, and then writing some custom code to swap out the query generated by essential grids for the one made by views.

Let me know how you get on if you attempt this, it would be interesting to see the results.

Hello Nigel,

Thank you for your response.

Yes, I want to use a custom parametric search in views and have the output displayed as an essential grid and to be able to update those results by using filters, but I don't poses the skills needed to implement this myself. I'm looking for a simpler, less-advanced option so it sounds like It may be best for me to try to achieve similar looking grids within Views output loop using the integrated Bootstrap grid options? Do you agree? If so, can you suggest a good way for me to go about creating attractive responsive grids similar to those output by Essential Grid (e.g. smooth animations when filtering/sorting, lazy loading, responsive, etc.)?

In the meantime, I will attempt to test the solution you mentioned in your last paragraph, but I doubt I'll be able to write the custom code needed to swap out the query. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
Brent

Nigel,

The solution you suggested sort of worked, but the output was repeated and the load times were very long.

Can you suggest a good way for me to go about creating attractive responsive grids within Views that are similar to those output by Essential Grid (e.g. smooth animations when filtering/sorting, lazy loading, responsive cobblestone and masonry layouts, etc.)?

Thanks,
Brent

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: Anglais (English ) Espagnol (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

Hi Brent

Most of the animations effects etc. you see will use CSS, and typically operate by including a class on the grid elements so that as they are added to the page they have an animated transition.

The simplest way for you to achieve this kind of effect would be to use a library such as animate.css
(hidden link).

You will need to add the library to your pages (read here about the correct way to enqueue CSS files: https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/basics/including-css-javascript/) and then add the class names when you set up the loop output of your View.

If you prefer to use a pre-existing plugin, you could try something like https://wordpress.org/plugins/animate-it/. You will have to read through their documentation to see how to implement it.

When you get to the stage of trying something specific and you have some problems then let me know and I will try to help out.

Nigel,

Thanks for the info and I'll give these options a try. I'm not a developer but these concepts seem fairly simple. I've also found this option hidden link while searching the Toolset forum. It sounds like another enqueue-type solution, no?

Do you know if Toolset is planning to improve the tools within Views to make grid creation easier for non-developers like myself? I've read a few requests for this functionality within the forum.

Thanks again for your help.

-Brent

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.