Skip Navigation

[Résolu] Custom Search View with Visual Composer Post Masonry Grid output

This support ticket is created Il y a 7 années et 1 mois. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 -
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

This topic contains 6 réponses, has 2 voix.

Last updated by Brent Urbanski Il y a 7 années et 1 mois.

Assisted by: Juan.

Auteur
Publications

I'd like to create a Custom Search View (Parametric search) and output the search results using Visual Composers Advanced Grid Builder hidden link. (Rather than Bootstrap grid within the View Loop Output Editor.)

Visual Composer's Grid tools allow for quick/easy setup and styling of the grid layout as well as the individual grid elements. Types custom fields can also be added to the elements, and animations are simple to apply. This tool is nearly perfect with the exception of not having any search or sorting capabilities, and only one filter can be applied.

While 'Views' is an awesome and powerful tool with it's great amount of search, sort and filter options, I've found setting up grids in the Loop Output Editor can be an overwhelming task for non-coders like myself.

I've searched for a solution for quite some time and have noticed that many other people are looking for a solution as well. There are a few 3rd party options out there but they are buggy and don't offer the powerful search capabilities of Views (Relevanssi search, Types custom field usage, etc.)... and I'd prefer not to add more plugins that don't appear to have long-term support.

hidden link (AWESOME LOOKING SOLUTION BUT BUGGY / CANNOT SEARCH IN CUSTOM FIELDS)
hidden link (CANNOT SEARCH IN CUSTOM FIELDS)
hidden link (CANNOT USE CUSTOM FIELDS)

I believe this this feature would help many people and make Toolset Views even more user-friendly. I hope this idea makes it to your team's development plan!

Thanks for your help.
Brent

Juan
Supporter

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi Brent

Thanks for the feedback and the input.

If I get tis right, the mai request here would be to:
- either include a better grid generator built-in for Views loops, that can go and do things like a masonry grid, for example.
- or integrate better with already existing solutions, like the Visual Composer masonry grid addon.

The main problem here, as you would imagine, is the generated output. Views loops require a mandatory container with some specific attributes, mainly classnames and data attributes, to work properly in things like pagination, custom search, AJAX interaction, etc etc.

Bringing an external set of ruls, thing of the Visua Composer masonry grid, into this game would demand that we ind of hack their output to be compatible with us.

On the contrary, building a masonry grid system for Views is a little complex since for Views we just do not know whether your theme includes such a thing or not, and adding a specific option for each requirement would clutter the GUI quite fast.

We can reach an itermediary point. We have plans to make the Views loop options a little more modular, so you can register your own loop modes. We will keep on including the ones we have: ordered and unordered lists, tables, etc, and we will let third parties create their own loop modes that will produce custom HTML markup, but respecting the mandatory elements.

Once we have that modularity in place, we cold start building our own modes for known providers. That would mean that we could detect whether a sit is using the Visual Composer masonry grid addon, and offer a View loop for Visual Composer masonry grid.

So, as you can see, this is not a straight forward or short task. First we need to work on our side to let third parties register their own loops, and then we have to investigate and evaluate how to bring the ones we want to natively support.

But the earlier we start, the earlier we will be done 🙂

Regards.

Hello Juan,

Thank you for your very detailed response. I believe you understand exactly what I'm requesting, and your proposed solutions sound great. I hope to hear of progress in these developments in the near future.

In the meantime, I believe my best option is to learn how to incorporate Masonry JS (hidden link) and CSS 3 animations into my Views Loop. Would you agree? If so, any instruction or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brent

Juan
Supporter

Hi Brent

Well, I dare not to offer any hint as I am not that familiar with masonry. I will get there if we want to include what I explained above, but for now... I lack basic knowledge.

As a general advice, integraing a third party script into Views might be a little complex and depend a lot on the usage. The main problem I see while integrating such things comes with Views advanced features: AJAX in pagination, AJAX in search. Those presentational scripts usually need to be initialized over the content that they will help presenting. On Views AJAX events, that content changes, hence there should be a way to re-init the effect.

Other than that, and given a View with no AJAX whasoever, I see in their documentation that you just need to include the right HTML markup (no JavaScript initialization needed), and drop a script file, which can be done easily from the theme functions.php file. Adding manually the HTML markup should not be a problem, no matter what Views loop output style you decide to use.

Hope it helps.

Rgards.

Thanks again for your responses, Juan.

I prefer the AJAX experience, so I'll try to fumble my way to a JavaScript solution 😉 If that doesn't work out, I may have to settle with the HTML method.

Nevertheless, I'd prefer to use one of the solutions you proposed in your original message, so I'll keep an eye out for those developments as well. Is there a way for Toolset members to vote on feature developments, or track their progress or estimated release dates?

-Brent

Juan
Supporter

Hi Brent

Unfotunately no, because our experience tells us that promising a deadline or that smething is to be included in the next release can lead to frustration. Better avoid promises that unexpected things can make you break.

Anyway, I can tell you that I filled a ticket for myself regarding this and with a target version of Views 2.4. We just (a minute ago) released Views 2.3 so this means the one after that, if time allows us to.

Thanks!

Juan,

I understand and appreciate your response to this feature request.

Cheers!
Brent

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.