Skip Navigation

[Résolu] Can Views and Blocks Co-Exist? How to Migrate from Views to Blocks?

This support ticket is created Il y a 3 années et 10 mois. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 3 réponses, has 2 voix.

Last updated by scottS-3 Il y a 3 années et 10 mois.

Assisted by: Shane.

Auteur
Publications

Site "A" (olr-school.net) is a WordPress multi-site install with significant content that I have developed over time using "Types" and "Views". I'm now looking at adding new content to that site, which I want to develop first on a separate development Site "B" (olr-students.net, not multi-site) and then re-create (copy or migrate, I'm not sure which right now) over to Site "A", once I get things sorted out and verified. One motivation is to try to learn and take advantage of Toolset's "Blocks" new capabilities.

This morning, I learned that "Views" is considered a "legacy" plugin with the future being to add new features to "Blocks". My initial reaction was to be a bit nervous, but I get that!

So, not being altogether sure what the implications of that might be, I tried to install "Types", "Views" and then "Blocks" on Site "B", in that order. As soon as I installed "Blocks", I got the message that "Blocks is a different flavor of Views" and the note that both can't be used at the same time. I then saw that "Views" was de-activated. Not a problem on Site "B", as I was just getting started with.

However, it prompts a number of MAJOR questions in my mind regarding the path forward:

1) What will happen if/when I try to install "Blocks" in Site "A", to take advantage of the new features of "Blocks", while I still have MAJOR content that already exists that was created in "Views" on Site "A"? Will the fact that I have content that exists using "Views" allow both to be activated at the same time . . . or will "Views" suddenly be de-activated? If so, what happens to the functionality of the website when it comes to content built with "Views"? I hope the answer is nothing will happen to it . . . i.e. it won't "break" at that point, and I'll have the option to develop/add new content in "Blocks" without any need to update the prior content implemented in "Views" until I may wish to do so at some point in the future to take advantage of "Blocks".

2) Assuming (I hope) that "Views" and "Blocks" can co-exist per Question 1, is there now or will there be a mechanism at some point to help those of us with significant "Views" content to migrate it to "Blocks? Or, will it be necessary for us to rebuild the content all over? I won't be shocked if you tell me it will need to be re-built.

What I think would help with the above for me, and I think many others, is this: A blog post and video that digs into and lays out how I and others can approach migrating from "Views" to "Blocks" without anything unexpectedly "breaking" along the way. If something already exists, please tell me where to find it, and I looked for and couldn't find anything in the blog that spoke to this.

In the short term: I really would appreciate an answer to Question #1, as far as both "Views" and "Blocks" existing together, as I'm not sure quite how to proceed at this point until I understand that.

Site "A" - hidden link
Site "B" - hidden link

Thanks, in advance, for feedback on the above. It is much appreciated.

Scott

After some further experimenting . . .
Regarding Question #1 in my first submission:
I found that after importing previously designed "Views" from Site "A" and with the "Blocks" plugin enabled (and "Views" still deactivated with "Blocks" activate)) . . .
1) At least one (and I assume probably all) of the "Views" I imported still apparently work
2) By changing the "Editing Experience" setting to "Show both the legacy and Blocks interface and let me choose which to use for each item I build", I was able to make adjustments to at least one of the imported "Views"
3) I now see that the "Views" and "Content Templates" options are again available under the Toolset options in the WordPress Dashboard . . . apparently as due to the change in the "Editing Experience" setting.
As such, it seems that legacy Views as well as new Views created with "Blocks" do co-exist. That stated, I would appreciate confirmation of that and any helpful/relevant feedback on that.

Regarding Question #2, I'm still interested in learning if there will be a migration tool.

Regarding the suggestion of a blog and video regarding migrating from "Views" to Blocks", I think that would still be very helpful.

So, while this request is still open, I feel I have a better sense of how this might work, going forward.
Scott

Shane
Supporter

Languages: Anglais (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Scott,

Thank you for getting in touch.

Let me see how best I can resolve these questions for you.

1) What will happen if/when I try to install "Blocks" in Site "A", to take advantage of the new features of "Blocks", while I still have MAJOR content that already exists that was created in "Views" on Site "A"? Will the fact that I have content that exists using "Views" allow both to be activated at the same time . . . or will "Views" suddenly be de-activated? If so, what happens to the functionality of the website when it comes to content built with "Views"? I hope the answer is nothing will happen to it . . . i.e. it won't "break" at that point, and I'll have the option to develop/add new content in "Blocks" without any need to update the prior content implemented in "Views" until I may wish to do so at some point in the future to take advantage of "Blocks".

You will not lose any functionality or any of your previously created views when you activate our Blocks plugin. This is because our Blocks and Views plugin are essentially the same exact plugin. The only difference is that the Blocks plugin comes with the block editor enabled by default. You will still have access to your legacy views if you enable the classic editor in Toolset -> Settings -> Editing experience.

2) Assuming (I hope) that "Views" and "Blocks" can co-exist per Question 1, is there now or will there be a mechanism at some point to help those of us with significant "Views" content to migrate it to "Blocks? Or, will it be necessary for us to rebuild the content all over? I won't be shocked if you tell me it will need to be re-built.

Given that the Views and Blocks plugin are essentially the same there is no mechanism to migrate the classic views to the Blocks method. As long as Blocks is enabled your views will work as normal.

Please let me know if this clears things up for you.

Thanks,
Shane

I now have a much better understanding of how the capabilities of "Views" were carried forward into "Blocks", thanks to Shane's feedback. I'm now comfortable moving forward. My questions have been answered. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.