Skip Navigation

[Résolu] Assign Access to Roles, based on Role name, not level/hierarchical!

This support ticket is created Il y a 8 années et 2 mois. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 8 réponses, has 4 voix.

Last updated by stevenG-5 Il y a 8 années et 1 mois.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Auteur
Publications

Access manages Roles, based solely on their level. This is obsolete and wrong.

From WordPress Codex:
https://codex.wordpress.org/Roles_and_Capabilities#User_Levels
Prior to version 2.0, WordPress used a user User Levels system. This was replaced in version 2.0 with the much improved and more extensible Roles and Capabilities system you see today. To maintain backwards compatibility with plugins that still use the user levels system (although this is very much discouraged), the default Roles in WordPress also include Capabilities that correspond to these levels. User Levels were finally deprecated in version 3.0.

We are currently at WordPress version 4.4.1.....

Could we please have an Access version that manages restrictions/access to custom post types, taxonomies, fields etc, based on Role NAME, rather than level?
Currently, we can't use the plugin, since creating user groups (Roles) that have the same capabilities/level, but ONLY for some individual custom post types, is NOT possible (Access will assign to the whole level the same access... regardless the group/role).

Please advise.

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: Anglais (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

I understand your concern and I'll forward your request to our concern department as a feature request for assessment as the feature you are looking for needs a complete rewrite of Access plugin.

It's not really a feature request ... more like, this plugin really needs to be updated so people can use it! 🙂
So for now, there's nothing we can do to use it with role names and not levels?
A patch... workaround... nothing?

Minesh
Supporter

I've added your voice to our internal system to get this feature available as soon as possible but I'm not sure when it will be and there is no ETA yet as its completely depends upon the priorities set by developers and concern authorities. I know you may get disappointed a bit with this answer but as a supporter I can't help you much here.

Thank you for understanding.

So.. how can I know if it's taken into consideration or not?
I mean you do realize that people build complex WP sites that take months of work... so if this feature was to be considered I would need to plan the WP site in a certain way, otherwise I'd have to go with completely different solutions...
Since we do pay for the Toolset plugin suite (as many other developers) and it's not cheap, it would be nice to know what's going on... and not get an answer like "maybe who knows", like if it was a free plugin.....

Hello Sanny,

This is Adriano, Toolset support team leader. We've discussed that with our development team and we figured out that it's a really complex feature request. We need to study all the possible side effects before implementing something in this size, otherwise we will break lots of sites in production.

Our first priority is to improve the WPML compatibility and besides that providing a good API for Access.

Minesh
Supporter

I hope Adriano answered your question here and its not the way you would like to but this is the current status of this feature.

Hello,
I understand your decision, but I dont agree with considering the request a "feature".
WordPress hasnt used levels for years and doesnt recommend using them... therefore, this is a *necessary* and quite critical upgrade for Access, not a "feature", which could be an extra.

Soon, level might even be completely removed from WordPress, and then what?
ALL sites using Access will be broken. Instead you could start working on an upgrade that used Roles better, while keeping a legacy for levels.

But it's your product, your decision. Good luck 🙂

uptick here. kinda critical. is there a workaround or 3rd party plugin that would work to fill this gap and not kill my entire site?

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.