Skip Navigation

[Resolved] "You do not have rights to create new items" when creating new many-to-many

This support ticket is created 8 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jimP 8 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Ross Fisher.

Author
Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 07.35.17.png

Please see previous support thread:

https://toolset.com/forums/topic/passed-wrong-parameters-error-when-adding-post-relationship/

We have now updated all Toolset plugins to latest, and received a different error when a non-admin user was selecting a many-to-many relationship (i.e., selecting an intermediate CPT specifying a many-to-many CPT relationship):

"You do not have rights to create new items." (See attached screenshot.)

Note, if you read the details of our previous support thread, that this no longer applies only to sites where Access controls regular posts; this error affected all sites.

I originally composed this support thread to report this new problem, but have found a solution. I want to document the solution here if it may be of use to others. Here are the new steps I had to take so that non-admin users could again specify a many-to-many relationship:

(1) In Access, select the intermediate CPT, and for your non-admin user role (ours is typically Author), make sure the "Publish" action is enabled. (This will also enable "Edit own" and "Delete own.") This action was apparently not previously required for a non-admin user, but is now.

(2) Once "Publish" is enabled, the intermediate CPT shows up on the dashboard side menu for non-admin users, which can be confusing. So, in Types, edit the intermediate CPT and under the Save metabox at upper right, edit "Visibility in Admin Menu" so that this intermediate CPT is hidden. This way, the non-admin user will not have direct access to the intermediate CPT on the dashboard menu. (Note: if you do this step before step #1 the intermediate CPT will not show up under Access, so you will not be able to edit its privileges!)

I believe the above successfully addresses the problem we had in previous support thread via the current suite of Toolset plugin functionalities.

Hey Jim, I really appreciate you posting the solution for others to find! It really makes our community better and I thank you for your time!

When you hit Resolved, I'll go ahead and add your solution to the site wide search so other users can easily find the solution.

Thanks again!

Okay, thanks...Jim P.

As a quick update for documentation, the above does not now work when a network admin (with user role = "None" on a given site) attempts to select a many-to-many relationship; the "You do not have rights" error displays.

The workaround is to add this network admin as role = admin to the site, then they can edit many-to-many relationships.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.