Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Yoast and toolset Seo Problem with new versions of Yoast

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
Can I use YOAST plugin with Toolset?

Solution:
Yes, starting from Types 3.1

This support ticket is created 7 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Beda 5 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

Hi,

The Yoast Seo plugin no longer allows the content from within a Types Custom field to be analyzed

I have browsed these forums and realize this has been an issue previously, toolset has provided a solution to this in previous threads.

this was the previous solution provided by toolset

function yst_custom_content_analysis( $content ) {

global $post;

/** return $content . ' ' . get_post_meta( $post->ID, 'book-description', true );  */

return $content . ' ' . get_post_meta( $post->ID, 'wpcf-book-description', true );

}

add_filter( 'wpseo_pre_analysis_post_content', 'yst_custom_content_analysis' );

This no longer works, we need a new solution, I believe recent updates to Yoast SEO have changed the way that it works from the time when this fix worked.

you can see the original thread I got this previous working function from here
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/toolset-and-yoast/

This will become a serious problem when building custom post types for clients and they install the Yoast SEO plugin and you have built custom posts to use custom fields for input of text instead of the wordpress default wysiwg editor. you can easily test that this code does no longer work on any toolset install for yourselves, I do realize that google will still pick up the content from within toolset custom fields, but you have to realize to a client and from their perspective they think everything is broke.

Thank you for reporting this.

1. This issue, if replicable and a BUG, should not have been solved by Custom Coding a hack that solves the issue

2. Instead, this should have been handled via our Compatibly Team, and provided as a native solution (if possible)

3. To do this correctly now, I will need your help if possible:

- Can you share with me all links you found where this issue was addressed.
I currently found (too many):
EDIT PROBLEMS:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/datepicker-problem-with-yoast-seo/
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/custom-field-date-is-not-editable-suddenly/
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/conflict-with-yoast-seo-plugin/

SEO PROBLEMS:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/how-to-use-custom-fields-in-yoast-seo-title/ (not to solve)
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/seo-by-yoast-doesnt-find-my-custom-post-type-fields/ (same issue as yours)

- I see in your previous ticket Minesh's only edit is the wpcf-prefix to the YOAST function, correct?

This is still the same, Types Fields need a wpcf-prefix.

If that function isn't working anymore, is the function been updated by YOAST itself?

Can you share with me also a Site's Snapshot that I could provide to the DEV team in case they need one?

Also I need to know if you refer to YOAST PRO or free version.

All this information will help us to solve the problem or properly update the solution.

Thank you

I unterstand and value your feedback, and thank you for the Trust you put in Toolset Technologies.

Regarding YOAST integration, Toolset does not and never did officially provide a Support or Integration for it.
As you see, all older threads provide the modified (with the wpcf-prefixes) YOAST function which they suggest to add, so to make things work with YOAST.

Now they decided to deprecate this API.
Since we do not provide this in our Tools natively, I don't agree that we should update something that is not existent in our Tools, or provide some sort of Updated Custom Code to make things work.

Of course I agree that it would be nice have this natively, or at least Documentation that explains how to make things work with Toolset and YOAST.
Ans as such you can consider this request as filed.

Regarding "being behind" different updates such as PHP7, WordPress and other, I agree onto topic of PHP7

Despite the early request (filed by me) the Toolset was not ready for PHP 7 in time, mainly due to the wrong assumption, it would take longer for PHP7 to be released.
What is to consider, PHP7 is not (in most cases) even used on specially shared servers, and usually only VPN solutions allow you to use it.
Not a excuse, just a thing to notice.

Regarding WordPress 4.5 we did not have any issues I know if, that where due to neglected API Changes on our side.
All I know of was due to the user either not updating WordPress but updating Toolset, or vice versa, or having Outdated OS and Browsers.

I recall - and want to mention, a huge catastrophe in the Toolset World which was WordPress API Update for ShortCodes version 4.2.3
In that case, WordPress notified nobody, and pushed the changes in less then 24 hours before release.
Toolset solve the class in less then a Week, including Weekend.

With this in mind - I think it is visible that Toolset does everything possible to satisfy the User's needs and reacts, when needed. And usually, we are up to date with specially WordPress.

Please don't understand me wrong. As you gave me honest feedback, which I highly appreciate, I want to respect this by providing you honest feedback as well, not excusing or apologizing issues that are not to excuse or apologize, and also determining what Toolset does and what not.

I also agree on your concern that "more features produce more bugs"
But the, our Features come from requests. We don't invent them.
It's usually a high load of requests by users, that make us implement something, and this also produces satisfaction.

Of course, you are absolutely right that a minimal set is better to control, but then I would need to ask... is It appropriate to support a integration with YOAST, which is also a new feature?
Of curse it is, but it also gives room for failure.

So it is a give and take situation.
We try to do our Best, and provide a affordable Plugin with many grease features and a professional Support, which is, in other Plugins, either more expensive or not available.

Regarding BuddyPress, we still have some Cells (hidden) in Layouts, but it has been not developed actively and it's not currently planned to do so.
It is mainly due to the fact that those templates are hardcoded and we can not dynamically control them.
If you are interested in what we provide for BuddyPress, you can read more here:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/buddypress-pages-not-using-layouts/
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/buddypressbbpress-layout/
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/buddypress-and-bbpress-integration/

I, to conclude, filed a request to enable some support for YOAST, or to provide a DOC on the "how-to" for the new YOAST integration method.

For now, this is considered Custom Code and a new feature to implement.
For your information, also PODS (example) is not integrating YOAST natively.
And in the comments here:
hidden link
it is very visible, neither YOAST or any 3rd party app actually provides solutions out of the box here.

Thank you for understanding.

Hi again Beda.

Ty for the long and detailed response back to my long and detailed questions 🙂

I do remember the shortcode problem and I agree it was a complete sham how WordPress handled that update at the time.

I agree with your points as much as you agreed with mine, now I cannot promise anything about the Buddypress side of things but maybe I can help further down the line. I know all about the template structure of this plugin due to doing extensive work with it in the past. Over the years of being active in the Buddypress forums I have got to know who the best people are to talk to about any Buddypress specifics.

I am at the minute overloaded with work being a Graphic Designer on top of the Web Design side of things, I will send a few emails out and have a chat with some of the contacts I have made with the Buddypress moderators/ developers over the years and see if they can help out with a solution on how to integrate with Toolset layouts etc. I am by no means an expert on Buddypress compared to some of these guys but I know my way around a lot of things with it and have done a lot of work in the past with the templates Buddypress uses.

If over time I can work out anything I will let you know personally, but like I said I would need to have a bit of free time first.

Once again ty for your response.

I wanted to inform you that we will be looking into this, but probably it will need even a "bridge" plugin as YOAST changed it's code completely.

When exactly our developers will add a new feature or not is not up-to us Supporters to determine.
Each issue reported in, whether a bug or a new feature request, is taken seriously into consideration.
It is given a high or low priority based on a number of factors.
Factors which those with the overview of all things related are in the best position to determine.
I apologise any inconvenience this may cause.

I am closing this ticket.
Please keep an eye on the ChangeLog and Blog Posts to see when an update is released for this.

Starting from Types 3.1 you will be able to use YOAST with Toolset 😉

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.