Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Yoast SEO not analysing Custom Field

This support ticket is created 3 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 21 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 3 years ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author
yoastSEOerror.jpg

Hi,

I am trying to get Yoast SEO to analyse page content stored within a custom post type. It is a WYSIWYG field and it is not including it in the word count, for example.

I have the following versions of WordPress, Yoast and Toolset:

WordPress 5.5
Toolset Layouts 5.6.5
Toolset Types 3.3.13
Toolset Views 3.2.2
Yoast SEO 14.8.1

Hello, have you configured this field to be used for Yoast SEO analysis as shown in the document here: https://toolset.com/course-lesson/seo-for-custom-fields-using-toolset-and-yoast-seo/ ? That's usually the first step I would take. Edit the custom field in Toolset > Custom fields > Post fields tab, and turn on the Yoast analysis "raw" setting. If the problem is not resolved, please let me know.

yoastCustomFieldsSetup.jpg

Hi Christian,

Thanks for coming back to me. Yes, sorry I should've said, I have set this up correctly I believe - I've attached a screenshot for you now.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,
Tom

I'm not really a Yoast expert but this article seems to indicate that the premium plugin is required to scan custom fields:
https://yoast.com/help/add-custom-fields-to-yoast-seo-premium-plugin-settings/
You may need to contact their support team to see if the premium plugin will include the text from custom fields in text length analysis.

Ah ok, thanks Christian. I'll go back to the client and see if they want to upgrade to the premium version.

Thanks again,
Tom

I'll stand by for your update, thanks!

Hi Christian,

The client has upgraded to the Premium version of Yoast SEO and i have followed the instructions in the link you sent across previously. Unfortunately, still no joy with getting it to analyse the custom field.

Is there anything you can think of from a template/setup point of view that might be preventing it?

Thanks again,
Tom

Hi Christian,

Just following on from this, here is the reply from Yoast support.

Thanks,
Tom

[start of quote]

Thanks for contacting the Yoast Support Team, we would be happy to help.

Unfortunately, we're not really familiar with how Toolset custom fields work. Doing some research, we found this documentation on their site: https://toolset.com/course-lesson/seo-for-custom-fields-using-toolset-and-yoast-seo/

We also have some additional information on how to configure custom fields in the Yoast plugin here, although we understand that you already tried this: hidden link

In the past, we have tried to parse custom fields and other content boxes with inferior results. Therefore, we opted to provide plugin and theme developers with an API that they can use to pass their content to our page analysis.

If you are using a plugin or theme that doesn't send their content to our page analysis, please reach out to the developer and ask them about adding the functionality to their code. This KB article will help them with the implementation: hidden link

[end of quote]

In step 5 of the premium plugin steps, there is a step where you add the individual custom field names you want to analyze. Types fields use a wpcf- prefix in the database, so you'll need to include that prefix with each custom field slug. If your custom field has a slug of "short-text" in the wp-admin, you would add that custom field slug to the Yoast index using the wpcf- prefix like "wpcf-short-text". Is this how you added the fields? If not, does that change the results?

yoastCustomFieldScreenshot.jpg

Hi Christian,

Thanks for coming back to me again and I hope you had a nice weekend.

I've attached a screenshot of my current setup - the custom field name is "bottom-description", and I have put the "wpcf-" prefix in there but still no joy.

Hope this helps! More than happy to grant you access if required to take a closer look at things?

Thanks again,
Tom

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Tom,

Christian is currently on a Public Holiday today but he will be back tomorrow to continue assisting.

Thank you for the continued patience.

Okay thanks, I was under the impression that custom fields are currently integrated with Yoast SEO. Let me ask my 2nd tier team for some additional investigation here, because according to our documentation this should work. I will let you know what I find out.

Hello, this is a quick update to let you know my 2nd tier support team did some more in-depth analysis here, and it seems there was a breaking change in the Yoast SEO plugin. According to our research, Types custom field analysis was working as of Yoast SEO 14.5, even in the free version. Users with Yoast versions > 14.5 will experience the same issue you have experienced, where custom fields are not included in the Text Length analysis even if they are configured to be included.

We have escalated this issue to our compatibility team for further investigation, and I will be glad to keep you up-to-date here in the forum as work progresses. For now, there does not seem to be a viable workaround. Downgrading to Yoast 14.5 may fix the problem, but then you won't have access to the latest Yoast bug fixes and features.

Hi Christian,

Thank you for looking into this further and escalating it with the support team. If you could keep me posted that would be brilliant - is this a bug that the team will look to fix in a future update?

In the meantime I have raised a support ticket with Yoast so they're aware of the issue. I'll keep you posted in here too if any progress made from their side.

Thanks as ever for ongoing support, much appreciated 🙂

Speak soon,
Tom

is this a bug that the team will look to fix in a future update?
Unfortunately all I know right now is that the problem was introduced during a recent Yoast update. The compatibility team will be able to provide more information eventually, whether this is a bug in the Toolset codebase or a bug in the Yoast codebase, or simply a compatibility issue that arose from some changes. I'll keep you posted here.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.