Skip Navigation

[Resolved] wpv-control-post-taxonomy outputting a simple list of links

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I would like to add a front-end taxonomy filter to my View. The filter format I would like to see is a simple list of text links.

Solution: Unfortunately there is no text-link style filter, so a CSS solution that hides a radio button and displays a text label instead is probably the best. Use cursor:pointer and the :hover pseudo-selector to simulate the behavior of a link.

.radios-taxonomies-title {
  cursor: pointer;
}
.radios-taxonomies-title:hover {
  color:#cc0;
}
This support ticket is created 4 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 4 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

On this page hidden link I have a view outputting a grid of posts with a taxonomy filter at the top. Is there any way to output the values of the filter simply as a list - I have used radio buttons and hidden the buttons, which works but the text links are not behaving as links (hover, roll over etc.) so it's not ideal because they aren't showing as links and will confuse the user.

I want the bar to behave as here: hidden link

many thanks

Hi, unfortunately there is no text-link variation for taxonomy filter options, so the styled radio buttons are probably your best bet here. What about a CSS-based approach to add the pointer and hover effects to the label generated by the View filters? I see a CSS class you could tap into. Just an example:

.radios-taxonomies-title {
  cursor: pointer;
}
.radios-taxonomies-title:hover {
  color:#cc0;
}

You could support this with actual links using a View of taxonomy terms, then hide those links with CSS. That would allow screen reader support if you're concerned about usability.

Thanks Christian - that sorted it. Cheers

Great, I will close here per your comment.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.