Skip Navigation

[Resolved] WPAllImport and repeatable fields

This support ticket is created 4 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by romanB-3 4 years ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

Hi,
I have a 15.000 posts import with a custom repeatable field "attachments".
I process the import thanks to WPAllImport and their beta Toolset addon.
In the CSV, the column "attachments" is a list of URLs with a "," separator.
But after the import, I noticed only the last one of every file has been duely attached to the post.
Thank you.

Do you mean a Repeatable Field Group?
The best way to import I have tested so far was with WP Ultimate CSV PRO by smackcoders.com

Note that the doc might be a little overwhelming as of what tool to choose, I made a summary here:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/how-to-import-relationships-with-toolset/#post-1566527

None of the docs related to WPAllImport mentions repeatable fields groups, so I doubt there is specific support for it.
Under the hood, repeatable fields groups are one too many post relationships, where the relationship slug is the Repeatable Field Group slug.
But I would first confirm with WPAllImport that this is really supported by them, otherwise, I can suggest WP Ultimate CSV PRO, which I am certain does work well with repeatable field groups additionally to all other types of imports.

WPAllImport only recently added some post relationships support, see https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/export-import/how-to-import-content-into-wordpress-using-csv/how-to-import-data-from-a-csv-file-using-the-wp-all-import-toolset-types-add-on-plugin/post-relationships/

Thank you for your fast answer!
I mean repeatable field, and not repeatable field groups.
Does it change anything to the fact I must :
1- Contact WPAllImport to confirm they are supported;
2- Buy and try another tool in the hope it will work better.
Thank you.

P.S.: The field is a standard field, where I checked "Allow multiple instances of this field"

Repeating Fields are a bit different.

There you have a "normal" WordPress Post Field but it will have several entries for the same post.
These fields, all with the same slug, will all be saved for the same post where they are repeating on.

So if you have a repeating field wpcf-my-field, then that precise field wpcf-my-field is saved for as many times against the post as you add instances of.
Each time, the value added has a new META ID, but keeps the same POST ID, and of course, it will change in value.

The order with which the field is displayed on the actual post is determined in _wpcf-ssss-sort-order, this is a serialized array.

I doubt the import plugins can handle that, and we do not specify it either in the docs.
You surely could import the items (meta) but the order will be tricky.

In fact, I already answered this once here I see now, I forgot this detail myself
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/import-repeating-field-values-by-wp-all-import-plugin/#post-499634
But I see in the DOC https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/export-import/how-to-import-content-into-wordpress-using-csv/ it actually says that WordPress Ultimate CSV Importer DOES Support it.
But, it's not elaborated, https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/export-import/how-to-import-content-into-wordpress-using-csv/import-csv-ultimate-csv-importer-plugin/

As already previously elaborated, WP Ultimate CSV PRO is quite superior in features and assistance (I am not trying to polarize who's better, but it is my experience that WP Ultimate CSV PRO can "more")

I think you'd have to ask the WPAllImport guys if they would want to add support for repeating fields.

Hello,
Ultimate CSV Importer plugin doesn't support media files other than images.
But my repeater is precisely an "attachments" field with distant files to download and link to the post.
Could you think in any other solution here ?
Thank you.

I see. No - if the field is not supported I fear there is nothing left but requesting it to be added as a feature, to either of the importer plugins you use.

But I am wondering why the field would not be supported. After all, this is just an URL?

Yes, this is just an URL, but the importer tool must :
1- check the URL and compare filename with media library;
2- import the file if it's not found;
3- attach the imported file to the post.
But Ultimate CSV Importer does import only image filetypes, and not PDF/DOC/...

I understand.

Well, I can only suggest to import it like any URL or text Field and ensure yourself the data is actually present on the site, or, to request this feature from the importers, but that will likely take time.

We can't change how those importers import the data, in Toolset basically only the field declaration is made.

Do you have a chance to change the field type?

Yes in deed, I may change the filetype; plus that's becoming to sound a good solution.
But I'm wondering to what filetype should I change it ?
At the very beginning of this project I thought the best way would have been to simply attach files to posts, but I need to:
- attach several files to each post;
- attach some files to different posts;
- have a decent editing in backend (and via CRED forms) in order to allow users to manage those.
And I understood this would have been complicated with native WP "attachments". So I chosed this repeatable field which is causing issues now...
Thank you.

Yes, using a file field is a way to add repeating files
You can use a bare URL field but there you'll have to add the value manually.

If the importer doesn't support that particular import (although it does, it's just a URL field, what does not work is the automatic population, but no importer does that).

Hence, I am afraid that neither Toolset nor those importers can help.

An importer will not import the actual media - it imports a field with values.
That's meaning you would have to ensure those URL's are correct and upload the media manually - the import then adds the post meta pointing to the files.

That will be the same with any type of field or importer.

An importer will not import the actual media - it imports a field with values.
Well... Actually both WPAllImport and Ultimate CSV Importer do import distant files. But :
- Ultimate only imports image files;
- WPAllImport doesn't recognize repeatable field.

Ok, however, this is not a problem of Toolset or any other plugin creating those fields
It's a feature added by importers for some fields, not all, it seems

We can't change this. It is not how imports work, usually, as you can confirm by importing any type of image field even from other plugins, only if the particular plugin supports the particular image (or else) field import of "distant" files, then that will work

Otherwise, you have to do this import with any other method, and let the importer handle the value saved in the fields only.

Hello and thank you,
It's a pity Toolset didn't develop its own importer; maybe a new plugin to think of.
In the meanwhile, could you please point me some documentation I could use in order to hire a freelance that may code a small plugin just to import my attachments in a repeater field ?
Thank you.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.