Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Would love to see Custom Taxonomy Default setting.

This support ticket is created 5 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by joe-enteleos 5 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

Here is a ticket that references what I need: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/how-can-i-set-a-default-taxonomy-field-value-for-custom-post-types/

Would love to add my voice to those wanting to see that incorporated into the settings available on the taxonomy page itself. That said, it's not huge, mostly just a convenience when adding posts.

Well, WordPress Supports a Default Taxonomy set for native Posts and native Category.

One could say WordPress should offer an API to add own settings there (Custom Post Types and Terms) and I cannot find anything related, it seems most suggestions end up in hooking to save_post() which is not the same as a default setting in a WordPress Dashboard.

I would suggest adding a Setting in the "Post Type Edit Screen" of Toolset, allowing to set a default taxonomy term for new posts of that type.

I don't understand why you would want that on the taxonomy page?
There, you would set the single term as default for.. all posts of all kind? Or you would like a selector there to establish to what post type the individual terms should apply?

I think it is easier to put that on the Post Type edit screen, as there is already a Taxonomy related section on those.

Would you agree with that?

I can then file a request and put it online to vote here:
https://toolset.com/feature-request/

Beda, you're so right. My use case involves a couple of taxonomies that are assigned to only one custom post type, so I hadn't thought about the case where a taxonomy might have different preferred defaults when assigned to different post types. Your solution makes perfect sense.

Also, thanks for the link to the feature requests voting. I hadn't known about it.

Thanks for your awesome help on this.

Got it, thanks! Placed my vote.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.