Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Wordfence plugin won’t allow submission and gives a 403 error message

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

Wordfence plugin won't allow Toolset form submission and gives a 403 error message stating potentially unsafe operation detected

Solution:

It is Wordfence plugin who prevents the form from submitting, I suggest you check it with Wordfence supporters, check if there is any special settings needed to be setup in Wordfence:

https://www.wordfence.com/help/

Relevant Documentation:

This support ticket is created 5 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Jas 5 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author

Jas

I have set up an edit form link on the front end for these two same content templates so that my data entry lady can edit my custom post types, and It seems like I have the settings turned on in Access to both restrict this link to her, and allow her to make necessary changes. However, when she hits submit, Wordfence plugin won't allow her submission and gives a 403 error message stating potentially unsafe operation detected. Again, another strange thing is that it will allow about half the submissions and the other half it won't allow...
I have her set up as User Aire, and as an author...

Dear Jas,

Yes, I can get your website credentials in your post
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/trying-to-provide-access-to-backup-for-larger-database/#post-1078361

The problem you mentioned above is abnormal, and it is related with Wordfence plugin, please try the regular debug first:

1) Deactivate other plugins except Toolset plugins and Wordfence plugin, switch to wordpress default theme 2017

2) If the problem still persists, please point out the problem page URL and form URL, where and how I can see the problem as you mentioned above:

when she hits submit, Wordfence plugin won't allow her submission and gives a 403 error message stating potentially unsafe operation detected. Again, another strange thing is that it will allow about half the submissions and the other half it won't allow...

Please describe detail steps to duplicate the same problem

3) To reproduce the problem, is there any special setting in Wordfence plugin side?

If you need my assistance to debug in your website, please backup your website, and I need your permission to deactivate plugins and switch theme.

Jas

Hi,
I deactivated all plugins except Toolset and Wordfence, and switched back to the default WordPress theme, and then tried to edit via frontend form. (if that is what you mean by debug-where you turn on one by one and test if the problem still exists). The problem still remained with all the other plugins deactivated. Some of the custom posts I was able to edit from frontend as before deactivation, and some I was not and continued to get the error 403 from Wordfence.

Example where you can see this issue is:
(try to add a new service/supply type or a new image 2)
hidden link

Thanks!

Thanks for the details, I can see the problem in your website, I see below error message after click submit button:

403 Forbidden
A potentially unsafe operation has been detected in your request to this site, and has been blocked by Wordfence.

But as you can see, it is Wordfence plugin who prevents the form from submitting

I have checked the form "Edit Service" in your website
hidden link
But can not find anything wrong in it.

I suggest you check it with Wordfence supporters, check if there is any special settings needed to be setup in Wordfence.
hidden link

What kind of "potentially unsafe operation" is it?

Jas

Thanks Luo Yang for checking on this, I will check with Wordfence:)

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.