Skip Navigation

[Closed] Widget Cell area not available (Layout v1b5)

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.20 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Luo Yang 6 years, 6 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Luo Yang.

Author

Regarding the closed topic here: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/missing-the-widget-area-cell/

I do, however, want to place entire widget areas and not just single widgets into my Layout templates. Is this not possible anymore with the newest beta? I want to create a "Layout" for my default pages with a content area and sidebar that references a sidebar in the Appearance => Widgets area. Otherwise, I have to create new "Layouts" for every possible widget combination I may use throughout my site if that's the way I understand it (not efficient). I already use a great plugin called Dynamic Widgets for controlling what pages widgets appear on so being able to place an entire sidebar widget area into a "Layout" is the best scenario.

If I'm misunderstanding how to place entire widget areas into my Layout templates, please clarify, thank you.

Luo Yang
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Chinese (Simplified) (简体中文 )

Timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

As the thread you mentioned above:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/missing-the-widget-area-cell/#post-271837
The widget area is not necessary any more, since there is new element "Single Widget" in the latest version of Layout.
You will be able to choose which widget to select, without having to create new widgets areas.

And I put your question into our to-do list, our developers will take care of it.

Thanks for the reply but I do hope you add back in the ability to use an entire WordPress sidebar and not just individual widgets. As I understand it, Layouts should be able to define a rough template for many pages to use (i.e. | Left Sidebar | Content | Right Sidebar |), hence the need to include a bulk sidebar that I've already built.

The Widget logic plugin I use (Dynamic Widgets) handles the visibility/invisibility parameters perfectly. If I have to use Layouts to define all the combinations of widgets I may need throughout my site than it basically defeats the purpose of the entire WordPress Appearance => Widgets part of the admin.

Luo Yang
Supporter

Thanks for the details, I forward it to our developers.

Luo Yang
Supporter

Here is the feedback from our developers:
we decided to remove this cell since it's not completed with all the functionalities required and we found in the last usability test we had with users that it was pretty difficult to use and it was creating more issues than solve them.
As far as I remember Amir's final decision was to rework this cell in next dev cycles, and restore it once it will be completed.

The topic ‘[Closed] Widget Cell area not available (Layout v1b5)’ is closed to new replies.