Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Widget area only visible to Administrator

This support ticket is created 6 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 4 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

Please reopen this ticket:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/widget-area-visible-only-to-administrator/

Problem
Widget area, in a Layout, only visible to logged in Administrator. Tested with standard theme and plugins disabled.

Please assign to Nigel.
He is working on other problems on the same test-server

To test this problem:
Login as admin to see layout and widget area.
Layout: hidden link

Disable maintenance mode before logging in as a test user:
hidden link

Login as "Organizer Large" to test if media button is visible
test user credentials supplied in this ticket:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/add-media-button-not-visible-in-cred-form/

Page with widget area, to test visibility:
hidden link

Please, important:
Enable maintenance mode after testing is done:
hidden link

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Tina

I have a locally-installed copy of your site for testing the issues in the other threads.

In that I currently have non-Toolset plugins disabled and the twentyseventeen theme active.

If I visit the FAQ archive as a guest (i.e. not logged in) I can see the widget area no problem (though I have to scroll down to the bottom to see it, the content is stacked without the grid layout with this configuration).

So I switched to your theme -- still okay.

Then I re-activated all the plugins singly or in batches until I was back to the same active plugins as on your site -- still okay.

If I visit the same page of your staging site as a guest I don't see the widget area.

I can't account for the difference, but could you please try the same and see what happens?

No it didn't work for me.
But could this be due to the security plugin maybe ...
"WP Security" adds a lot of stuff to .htaccess
When you installed locally, did you copy the .htaccess or do you have a "fresh, blank" file?
I used the online .htaccess locally...

Maybe when you deactivated/reactivated the WP Security plugin it never wrote its settings to .htaccess, because I suppose you never re-saved the settings.

Just a thought. Otherwise I don't really know where to start searching for the culprit.

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Tina

I activated the security plugin and accepted the option for it to update .htaccess with the security roles in place before it was deactivated.

That didn't make any difference on my local install, I was still able to see the widget area as a guest.

I switched back to your theme and re-activated other plugins, and still I was able to see the widget area.

The security plugin sounds like a good candidate for what may be responsible, but I'm not particularly familiar with it.

When I simply copied over the prior .htaccess file to replace the one created by Duplicator I got a 500 error, there must be some URL-specific content, and I needed the plugin itself to rewrite the file to be able to use it.

What happens on your own server if you disable the security plugin? Does that fix the widget area visibility?

No, sadly not, still not visible.
I deactivate all plugins except toolset.
Install and activate Twenty17.
View the page as guest.
I don't see the widget area at all. (not stacked)
I double checked the .htaccess file and all code added by the security plugin is gone.
I also tried with the toolset theme active and I cannot see the widget area.

I found something.
If i change the site language to English (US) the widget area is VISIBLE.
If I change it back to Swedish (as it should be) the widget area is gone.

I was thinking about what could be different on your local installation (fresh installed) from mine.

Test to change site language to Swedish (settings/general)
Same result for you?

FYI Site language "Swedish" = "Svenska"

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Tina

You are right.

I switched to Swedish for the site language and the widgets no longer display for guests. I've even disabled Access and see the same.

Thanks for narrowing down the problem, I can now escalate it to second tier to be investigated—alongside your other issues.

I'll keep you posted.

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Tina

I'm just going over my escalated threads to check if I've missed anything and there is an update from second tier.

A bit of an odd update, but it is a bit of an odd problem.

Remove these files:

..\layouts\locale\layouts-sv_SE.mo
..\layouts\vendor\toolset\toolset-common\languages\views-sv_SE.mo

Do some testing. Then add them back.

Want to give that a try and report back?

Strange indeed 🙂
Removing the language files made the widget area visible
Putting back views-sv_SE.mo - no problem
but adding layouts-sv_SE.mo - problem exists

So the layouts-sv_SE.mo is causing the problem.

Nigel
Supporter

OK, I've fed that back to second tier to investigate that further, thanks.

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Tina

My colleague has been going over older unresolved threads and picked up this one. It seems we no longer have access to a duplicate of the site so cannot re-test on your site.

I set up a test site and tried to reproduce the problem just now, but cannot.

There have—of course—been many plugin updates since this was initially reported, and it's possible that the issue has been resolved, unnoticed.

Can you let us know if you still see the problem when using current versions of WPML and Toolset?

While creating the test site I did notice that there are multilingual settings directly in the widgets (in Appearance > Widgets) which I don't recall seeing before, which you may want to review.

Sorry for the inactivity on this thread, we'll try to resolve the problem if you confirm it still exists.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.