Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Why can't you use certain field types in repeatable field groups?

This support ticket is created 4 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by adamG5230 4 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do? Im trying to understand Field Types. not all the information is clear to me on what im suppose to do with each type and the content within.

More specifically I have been noticing when I create a field type in a repeatable group I can choose any option but then if I try change the type after its already created it says, "not allowed" and is greyed out, why?

Also if everything is repeatable why would I need multiple checkboxes field type. I guess I don't understand the difference or the need.

Is there any documentation that you are following? I did find a guide on each of the field types but it really felt like technical jargon rather than a user friendly guide. Honestly the information I found was a fluke and now I can't find it.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Adam

Once you add a custom field of a certain type it may not be possible to switch it to another type because of how the data are stored.

You can effectively swap between fields that are stored as simple text strings, such as the Single Line field itself and the email field, the number field, the phone field etc. Switching one of these to, say, a checkboxes field which is stored as a complex array would break for existing data, and hence is not permitted.

Some fields allow multiple instances. The email field for example, you can designate as a single or repeating field, in which case you can add multiple email addresses to a single post. More complex fields such as radio, individual checkbox or multiple checkboxes fields cannot have multiple instances of that field.

A single checkbox field may be used for an option such as "In Stock" which has a binary choice. A checkboxes fields would be used where multiple options could be selected, e.g. "Available Colours" with options for Red, Green, Gold etc.

Repeatable Field Groups are not to be confused with repeating individual fields (i.e. fields which permit multiple instances).

An example of how you might use Repeatable Field Groups would be for offices and contact details. You have offices in Milan, Paris, and London. Each office has a contact person name and an email address. You could make repeating fields for the Contact (a single line field) and email address, but you couldn't be sure which contact went with which email address, there would just be 3 of each.

So you make a repeatable field group containing both fields. You add one group, for London, where you add a singular contact and a singular email address. You add a second group, for Milan, where you add the contact and their email. Then again for Paris.

I hope that clarifies things for you a little.

The documentation page you were looking at previously was probably https://toolset.com/documentation/customizing-sites-using-php/functions/

Thanks Nigel,

that does make more sense now. im not 100% (especially in relation to my own website) but im on the right track to figure it out so if I have more questions in the future ill ask and yes, that was the document I was speaking of. its not the description I would search for so that's probably why I couldn't find it.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.