Skip Navigation

[Resolved] which CPT do I need to set up

This support ticket is created 4 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I am building a local directory. I want allow claiming of listings and editing them, but only the users own listing.

I have a listings CPT and taxonomies, but do I need another CPT for user profiles or use the WP user DB?
Then assuming I need the profiles CPT, how is the listing tied to the profile for a user dashboard experience?

I intend to charge monthly or annual fees using woo commerce.

I am creating the pages using Oxygen builder so would like to know if I should style views in Toolset or Oxygen?

I am thinking of using an ajax search plugin instead of building a search form - this is mainly for mobile users so their screens are less cluttered. Do you have any recommendation for this?

What is the link to your site?
It is not set up yet.

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get everything going in the right direction straight from the off.

Many thanks
Andy Mason

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

Hi Andy

When it comes to user profiles/dashboards etc., if the main content is the users (e.g. a membership site) then you would typically want to create a user-profile post type connected to the WP users, because doesn't include such a thing as a user archive and Views custom searches are available for posts but not for users.

This is described here: https://toolset.com/documentation/post-relationships/how-to-create-custom-searches-and-relationships-for-users/

But in your case it is the posts which are the main content, the users just happen to be for identifying who the posts belong to. People will search the listings rather than the users, or at least that's the impression I have.

In which case you simply make the users the authors of the listing posts once the listing has been claimed.

You can then make a "My Listings" page which includes a View to display listings and that has a Query Filter for the post author to be set by the current user, so anyone visiting that page will then see their listings(s).

You'll need to design your Views output within Toolset. When creating pages and post templates with Oxyven you can insert a View where required, but you cannot design the output of the View using Oxygen. We are working on an update to use the Gutenberg blocks editor to design Views outputs, but that's not available yet.

I'm not sure why you need a separate ajax search plugin, you can include custom searches powered by ajax within Views.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.