Skip Navigation

[Resolved] When will the many-to-many post relationship functionality (Toolset 2.3) be read

This support ticket is created 7 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 - -
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Europe/Prague (GMT+02:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by timE 7 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Jan.

Author

Hi

I read this blog post a while ago:
https://toolset.com/2016/08/how-post-relationship-replaces-post-reference-and-repeating-fields/

In it you talk about a much wanted "Post relationship" feature to deal with many-to-many relationships, and say you expect it to be ready in November 2016.

I'm just wondering if there's any update on an expected release date for this functionality.

I'm aware of the other way of doing things with an intermediate post type (as per https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/many-to-many-post-relationship/), but am trying to decide whether to start development of a specific site now, or hold off until the Toolset 2.3 is released.

In addition I also wonder whether the post relationship functionality will cover the following scenario.
Sports club with multiple teams, multiple people and multiple roles.
Say we have
Teams: A, B and C
People: John, Bill and Bob
Roles: Player, Coach, Captain

John is Player and Captain of team A
Bill is Player of team A and Coach of team B
Bob is Player and Coach of team A and also Coach of team B

So there's a many-to-many relationship between the people and teams, but each relationship is also defined by a role. I can see how to do it with the current (intermediate post type) method, by using a taxonomy on the intermediate post type to define the role.

Will that possible on the Post Relationship methods?

Thanks
Tim

Sorry there's a typo in the subject. It should say:
When will the many-to-many post relationship functionality (Toolset 2.3) be released?

Jan
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Prague (GMT+02:00)

Hello Tim,
thank you for contacting us. It's very difficult to make an estimate here because this is a very complex set of features that requires many under-the-hood changes throughout all Toolset plugins.

At this moment, we're aiming at having a beta release for Toolset with many-to-many relationships within the first quarter of 2017. But please don't understand this as a guarantee, that is something I can't give you.

As for your question about the functionality, it will be possible to define multiple relationships between the same pairs of post types (the relationships will no longer be determined by post type names but they will have their own unique slugs). So, you will be able to implement this scenario in quite an intuitive way.

Does this help? I will be happy to answer further questions.

Hi Jan

Thanks for that. That answers my questions. I can see how it's a massive bit of code and needs to be bulletproof before release.

The site I'm looking to use it on is a doesn't have a specific time-frame for release so I'd prefer to utilise the new method.

I'll keep an eye out for the beta.

Thanks
Tim

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.