Skip Navigation

[Resolved] When I access the post creation page on the frontend I receive an error.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: The submit button on my CRED form does not seem to do anything.

Solution: The latest version of CRED, 1.9.3, includes a fix that should resolve the AJAX form submission problem.

This support ticket is created 6 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 15 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by julietA 6 years, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

I have a lot of teens who will be accessing the site so I have taken the screenshots off as I do not want them public. If you give me an email address or something I can send them that way.

I am trying to: Successfully use cred to allow author's to make posts from the front end.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: The site is private and not listed publicly, but I would be happy to supply credentials so you can log in and see what is happening

I expected to see: A normal form, as on the admin account it works perfectly and I do not see any error. I expected the same when I tested it through an author account (which is set correctly in the access)

Instead, I got: the following error shows up at the top of the page:
Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /**/******/public_html/wp-content/plugins/cred-frontend-editor/application/models/form/data.php on line 56

When I attempt to submit the form on the Author account I receive the following error: There was an error while submitting the form. When I check the site, the post has been added to the site.

Very non-specific

ALSO...since you'll be looking over the site, can you please check to see why the featured image is not working? I can upload the image and it shows up in the media folders, but it will not show up on the output page at all. Very confusing. I mostly understood why my theme isn't outputting it (it's a different class) but I can't figure out why it won't output it into the post.

I don't understand some of the things below, but I did give you access to the site, and if you need me to contact my web people to get you ftp access I would be happy to do so.

I am going to clear my site and reinstall. I had done a whole lot of testing and installing/uninstalling plugins to find what I wanted--I wonder if that might help track down the issue--so if you go to check the site and it's not working that is why. I'll update when I have it back up and tested to see if this problem still exists!

Okay, I've reinstalled everything, only adding the plugins that go along with my theme and then the Toolset plugins, imported all my setting into the correct parts, and now the error is also showing up on the admin screen.

I have new debug info but I don't see a way to send it privately to you?

Also, I've set up the account for you with the same credentials as sent before--so you have access to the site now. If you need more information from me please do let me know. If I need to stop working on the site please also let me know that as I intended to work on it most of the day today.

Thanks!

Still getting the general error when posting--but the post is being created--though it stays on the same page still.

And the featured image is still not working. It is uploading but not showing up on the front end.

AND I didn't know the backup wouldn't restore the actual categories under the custom taxonomy so I will have to readd all of that lol

Hi, I'll be glad to check this out. Is it best for me to create a new Author user and run tests here on the live site, or may I create a clone using the Duplicator plugin and install it locally for testing?

Re: featured image, all the posts I checked do not have a featured image right now, but I think that if you add a featured image here:
wp-admin/post.php?post=2604&action=edit

...then update your Visual Editor cell here:
/wp-admin/admin.php?page=dd_layouts_edit&action=edit&layout_id=2596

...using the correct syntax for your featured image shortcode to display the image:

[wpv-post-featured-image size="large"]

It should display as expected. If that's not the case, let me know if it's okay for me to try to set this up on the live site and I'll go ahead and put it in place.

Ah, Thank you Christian! I'll check the syntax on that--I actually just used what it added straight from the button--but I see that maybe it needed to be corrected now that you've pointed that out!

You are welcome to use the site live, it's not actually "live" as it were, as it's not been given out or anything, so if you prefer to work directly on it, just turn off the "coming soon" plugin. However, if you're more comfortable in working on a duplicate environment, to created a duplicate--you are quite welcome to do that as well! I wasn't clear on how to do that, so I will leave that in your hands.

Whatever would work best for you! I appreciate you so much with helping me! If you need information please do let me know! Kinda stalking this lol

Updating to say that I see you sent me to the backend editor. I was using Cred to create the posts. It is inside of the built form/post output that the featured image won't appear. Not even when added to the normal content and not through my theme if that makes sense?

Ahhh! Okay! It does work with the code changed to put it on the front end! WOOT! Thank you! I'll test it through Cred to see if it has any issues but that looks perfect!

If we can resolve the issues with the error on posting I'll be THRILLED! I love all of your tools!

I'm so sorry to keep updating this ticket lol

I tested the image through Cred and it doesn't show up. It acts like it's uploading it and the image shows up above the loading bar, but when I submit the post I get the error, then I go to the post directly and it doesn't have the featured image showing up in either spot.

Sorry to be such a bother!

I'm done working on the site for tonight, but there is definitely something going on about the images for the featured image. When I do not add one it will let the form go through, thought a white screen flashes up there momentarily with the error:

"Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home4/trueligh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/cred-frontend-editor/application/models/form/data.php on line 56"

The it takes me to the page to see the post.

However, if I add an image to the featured image, then the button clicks, as in actually does the on click color and then does nothing, and now it's not sending the form through at all, so unlike before when it would give a pop-up error and then still create the new post, it is no longer giving an error--but it is also not creating a post. That's as much as I could narrow it down and the only difference I can see is the application of a "featured image" to the post.

Thanks for your help!

Hey,

I seem to be getting the same error on my post forms, i found that there is a conflict with: WPML Multilingual CMS
plugin that is causing the error, and when disabling it, it seems to work.

Any idea about this?

Hi, our developers are currently investigating this issue that seems to have been introduced with the latest WP security update. Please stand by and I will update you as soon as I have additional information to share.

I get the same error on front-page form (if it is User Form I get two the same messages).

Additionally, I am not able to save email notifications and messages when I add new or edit CRED form in a back-end, even though I get a message the form was saved. I don't have any other plugins installed except Toolset; WordPress 4.8.3.

Hello all, our developers have just released an update that should resolve this issue. Please find the latest version of CRED 1.9.2.1 available for download. It's also a good idea to go ahead and update to Types 2.2.18 if you have not done so already. Please let me know if you run into issues with the update and I will take a look.

I upgraded both the Types plugin and the Cred plugin, cleared my cache, and then relogged in on my admin account to test the form.

I fill everything out, and when I click the button it changes color like it has been clicked (if that makes sense) and then it does nothing. It doesn't matter how many times I click the button, nothing happens. It also does not pass any info like it was before, rather, there is no new post on the backend at all like there was before, so it seems to not be working at all now?

Thoughts? I am happy to continue to give you access to the live site if that will help.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.