Skip Navigation

[Resolved] What’s up with .et-boc and .et_builder_inner_content?

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The output of an existing View now includes wrapper divs with classes of .et-boc and .et_builder_inner_content which messes with the current style rules.

Solution:
Divi introduced this change—which even affects Views where the template is *not* designed with Divi—in version 3.10.1.

After many user complaints about side-effects it is expected to be removed in subsequent Divi versions.

0% of people find this useful.

This support ticket is created 5 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by zacharyL 5 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author
screenshot.jpg

You can see my problem on the homepage: hidden link under the "Featured Products & Services" section.

So I'm currently actively developing a site, and after having updated Toolset to its most recent iteration today, I noticed that several of my site's components were borked. After investigating in the inspector, I noticed additional div container inception was being added to both my layouts and views, without my input.

The two primary areas I was noticing these additional containers were the Layouts Visual Editor, which was sandwiching my content with these two containers inside the container that was already marked with your column classes. For example:

<div  id="custom-footer" class="col-sm-12">
	<div id="et-boc" class="et-boc">
		<div class="et_builder_inner_content et_pb_gutters3">
			Visual Editor Content
		</div>
	</div>
</div>

This is easy enough to work around, as I can push my flex container "custom-footer" into the editor, but it these two additional containers cause problems for my views as it sandwiches EACH LOOP ITEM with them. This dirties up the markup, and forces me target this .et-boc class (or id) as my direct children, instead of my own containers.

Here's the current output:

<div id="feat-cat-loop"> <!--This container is flex enabled-->
			<div class="example-loop-item">Content Template content</div>
		</div>
	</div>
		</div>
	</div>
		</div>
	</div>
</div>

Here's what has normally been output up until this point:

<div id="feat-cat-loop"> <!--This container is flex enabled-->
</div>

You can see how that would mess up my flex containers. Yeah, sure I can work around this, but this forces me to target selectors, that may end up changing in the future, not to mention that it's pulling the same id multiple times in a page.

The distinction that I'm finding, is that these containers only appear on Pages using Divi functionality. I could understand, maybe if it was a Layouts specific issue -- because I'm aware you're trying to push away from the Toolset Divi Integration plugin, but it bleeds into Views as well.

I am dissatisfied with the inclusion of these new containers as it adds more unnecessary mess to markup that is already unnecessarily messy. I understand there's only so much you can do, and I know you're not directly responsible for this inclusion, and I'm sure there are reasons for them to be there. But the developers are trying to fix something that wasn't broken. The functionality that was in place worked fine. There was no need to add more containers, and potentially bork someone's site simply because one guy thought it was a good idea.

Please forgive my frustration, as I have to go through multiple components of this site in development, and fix the issues that these two containers have created, not to mention whatever other sites that we have developed that frequently use Layouts and Views with Divi -- which, by the way, is all of them. I can foresee this becoming really messy, really quick.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi there

This is odd.

I set up a test on my local site that has Divi installed and could see the issue you describe, which is certainly not intended, though I'm not sure what the cause might be, but the classes on those wrapper divs make it clear they are inserted by Divi.

I have another user reporting the same.

I was preparing to make a copy of my test site to pass to my colleagues and did some minor cleaning up, deleting unrelated plugins etc., and then the problem disappeared, I can't see it any more.

So I installed Divi 3.10.1 on a different test site where I haven't used Divi before, repeated the test, and this time I couldn't reproduce the problem at all.

I will keep investigating and see if I can reproduce the problem again, but from the above experience I suspect it may be some kind of internal caching issue with either Divi or Views. You may want to try some basic steps such as de-activating and re-activating plugins, switching theme then switching back again etc.

If you notice anything, let me know, and when I find something I will be in touch again.

Will do. Thank you for looking into this.

I've noticed this on two different sites so far, so I know it isn't an isolated incident.

I've done as you have suggested, by switching themes, and deactivating and reactivating plugins. Still no change.

I did, however, notice that it must be tied to the latest release of Divi, as when I dialed back to 3.9, the excess containers disappeared. Updating back to 3.10.1 brought them back.

Nigel
Supporter

I have a copy of the other user's site to work with which should be enough, but if I need to I'll see about getting a copy of yours.

I'll keep you posted.

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Zachary

The other user reporting this points out that there is a lot of heat in Divi support about this issue, which also occurs without Toolset and with WooCommerce, for example.

See https://toolset.com/forums/topic/question-about-very-strange-wrapping-of-of-views-template-in-divi-3-10-1/#post-952322

So I think we can expect an update from Divi to resolve this, hopefully before too long.

I won't proceed any further unless there is some news from Divi that they won't fix it and we need to see what if anything we can do from this end.

I'll mark this as waiting for feedback from you, you'll have a week or so to comment before it automatically closes.

Thank you for looking into this for me. Sorry for jumping to conclusions, and assuming it was coming strictly from Toolset.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.