Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Views to show only private posts by current logged in User

This support ticket is created 4 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shane 4 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author
Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 18.37.13.png

Hi there. I really hope you can help me to pick back up on this. This relates to a post I made a while back. but have not been able to figure out still. That post can be viewed here [ https://toolset.com/forums/topic/limit-users-to-viewing-only-their-own-posts/#post-1323225 ] so you can read the issue. I also just posted this comment at the bottom of that, but an alert told me it wouldn't be responded to there. So I am stating the issue again here...

I have filtered by author, and all posts are set to publish as Private posts. But still authors from the front end cannot see their post in Views.

I know that I need to follow this advice you have above: "By default, private posts will not appear in a View unless you add a post status filter. But then, all private posts appear for everyone in that View (not just the current logged-in User's private posts). You can work around that by using post author ID filters and shortcode attributes."

I have tried this again and again, using the advice on the linked page, and I just can't figure it out.

Please can you help me by telling me what settings I need to use in the dialogue shown in the attached screenshot to achieve my aim. As things stand, Admins see their private posts in the View, but members (front end subscribers) do not see theirs.

Thank you so much for your time.

Very best wishes,
Andrew.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for getting in touch.

I'm assuming that the posts are created by the subscribers. Meaning when the posts are created they are published at the same time. If the posts are moderated and you as an admin go in and then publish the post, then the author will be switched to you.

What I recommend that you do is to check that the author of the post is the actual person and not yourself.

To do this you may need to enable authors in your custom post type settings and then display it by enabling the authors section using the screen options.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

Many thanks for getting back to me.

The posts are created by the subscribers. When they are created they are published at the same time. But they are set to publish as a Private post. They are not moderated first by an admin. What's more, the author name on each of the posts is the name of the author who created the post, not the name of an Admin.

I hope you can still help.

Very best wishes,
Andrew.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Andrew,

Sure I can still help out.

Could you provide admin access as well as a test account for the subscriber ?

Or is it ok if I created the test subscriber role.

The private fields will be enabled for your next response.

Thanks,
Shane

I have just replied to my other ticket, which I need help on before I can come back to this.

Pulling my hair out here in frustration.

Okay thanks. Are you able to login with the information I sent to Christian in this ticket yesterday please:

https://toolset.com/forums/topic/featured-images-not-saving-through-toolset-form/

Access details are in the private message element.

If so, please go ahead and test (and you're okay to create a test subscriber too, thanks).

Very best wishes,
Andrew.

Hi, just reminding about this ticket as I could really use help on it.

Many thanks again,
Andrew.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Andrew,

Has there been a test page setup where I can log in and check on the view ?

Please let me know.
Thanks,
Shane

I ave created a view called "A TEST process view". If you login to the site using the details I sent, then you should be able to see that.

What I need is for clients to be able to publish posts to this custom post type from the front end, which they and we can edit, and which are only ever visible to them and us.

No client should ever be able to see any posts of this post type from another client, only their own. Each post from the client will have information specific to their project with us. So they must never be visible to the public or other clients. Just between the client and us.

Thank you again, Andrew.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Andrew,

I checked on the view and the view is only displaying my posts and even if the posts are set to private it still shows up.

However, because of how the view filter works it will only show the posts to the post Author, so even if you are an admin it won't show you the posts of the other users.

You will need to access those posts from the backend. Or you will need to create a second view that you can link to from another view that is listing out all the authors on your site.

Then you can have a button beside each of them that says "view posts" it will then link to the page with another view that will only list out that Authors posts and from there you can click on their posts to edit them etc.

Please let me know what you think of this.

Thanks,
Shane

I am going to take a look, thanks.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Andrew,

Update me once you have any information on this.

Thanks,
Shane

Please don't close the ticket.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Andrew,

In order for the ticket to remain open you will need to provide periodic updates so our Bots do not close it.

Thanks,
Shane

Thanks Shane, I'm going to try and get to this today.

Very best wishes,
Andrew.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.