Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Views & Clean Cache

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: It seems like the new caching system will require manual intervention to update the cache any time content changes.

Solution: An individual View's cache is invalidated any time a post that could appear in the View results is added or edited. Manual intervention is not required here.

Relevant Documentation:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/views/front-page-filters/how-to-use-views-parametric-search-on-large-sites/

This support ticket is created 4 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by julieP 4 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

I've noticed a new column 'Frontend output cache' has appeared in wp-admin for Views with a value 'not cached' and that whenever a page is visited that displays content generated by a View, that value changes to a 'clean cache' button.

I get the importance of caching stuff BUT if a user visits a page with Views generated content, moves on and before they come back a different user creates a post that would be returned by 'the View', will the earlier User see that new content now or does the Views cache need to be cleared first?

If this is working the way I perceive it, users won't be seeing up to date information. Can you clarify please?

I thought we used to have a 'cache this View' (or maybe 'don't cache this View' checkbox in previous versions of Views or am I mistaken??

The cache is automatically invalidated if a post that would be part of the View's Content Selection is added or edited. So if your View is of Posts, any time a new Post is created the cache for that View is automatically invalidated. There are some other reasons why cache would be disabled explained here: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/views/front-page-filters/how-to-use-views-parametric-search-on-large-sites/

There was no cache checkbox as far as I know, but you always had the option of specifying cached="off" in the View shortcode:

[wpv-view name="your view name" cached="off"]

Hi Christian

Thanks for clarifying - that's a relief!

I think I might have been thinking of the 'use the cached version if available' setting rather than a checkbox.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.