Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Views and Listing Fields for One Specific Post Type with Toolset Blocks

This support ticket is created 4 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by andrewF-6 4 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I am using Toolset Blocks. I would like to:
1. See a list of Views - I do not have a Views menu item any more!
2. I would like to display a list of link fields associated with one specific custom post type on that custom post type over view page.
3. I would like to display the link as an icon instead of a URL

Is there any documentation that you are following?
I have only seen the Toolset Block Videos which seem to require building the view in a separate page. I am currently using Elementor which requires a named view to insert into the page template.

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

I have just found a conflict between the Sitekit by Google Plugin and Toolset Views or Toolset Blocks. When both of these plugins are activated together I was not able to access the Toolset Settings Screen - I received an error message sent from my WordPress dashboard to my email account.

1. See a list of Views - I do not have a Views menu item any more!
This item is disabled by default in Blocks, but you can turn it back on if you'd like. Please go to Toolset > Settings > General tab, and in the Editing Experience section enable both the legacy and blocks editors.

2. I would like to display a list of link fields associated with one specific custom post type on that custom post type over view page.
I'm not quite sure I understand, let me restate this to make sure. It sounds like you have a URL custom field applied to one specific custom post type, and you would like to create a list of all these URLs as links. Then you would like to display this list of links somewhere...I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the custom post type overview page - are you referring to the custom post type archive? For example, if you have a custom post type "Books" with the slug "book", then you would also have an archive of Books posts at yoursite.com/book. Is this where you want to display the list of links?

3. I would like to display the link as an icon instead of a URL
Does each link have a different icon, or is the same icon used for every link?

I have just found a conflict between the Sitekit by Google Plugin and Toolset Views or Toolset Blocks. When both of these plugins are activated together I was not able to access the Toolset Settings Screen - I received an error message sent from my WordPress dashboard to my email account.
Thanks for the report, I think this has been addressed in the erratum post here: https://toolset.com/errata/fatal-error-on-the-toolset-dashboard-page-when-using-3rd-party-plugins-that-use-wordpress-rest-api/

Dear Christian,

Thank-you for your responses - regarding questions...
1. Thanks! I now see how I can access views. My new question then becomes is it possible to create a Blocks View independent of a page? I want to create a view using blocks and then insert that view into my page using Elementor. But it seems with the new workflow in order to create a Blocks view, I MUST create a page within which to place the Blocks view and then I can access this Blocks view from other Blocks Editors or from within Elementor. If I am not using the Views functionality, am I am able to see a list of Blocks created views anywhere and edit them directly?

2. I have one Custom Post Type with 5 different Multiple Instance URL fields. In my View I would like to display all the URLs for just that single custom post type. Imagine a company directory where I have been allowed to entire multiple websites or email addresses for the company. Currently when I try to create the Blocks view it creates a view listing the email addresses and URLs for ALL the Custom Post type entries - ACME A, ACME B, ACME C in a grid. Whereas I just want a view the view to list all the URLs and eMail addresses for ACME A in a grid. I hope this clarifies a bit. I think it must be easy to do but I can't seem to figure it out in Blocks. I would like to display the all the multiple instance links for ACME A within the Custom Post Type detail page for ACME A - no links for the other ACME companies should appear in this view. Does this make sense?

3. Regarding the sitekit errata, noted and many thanks.

My new question then becomes is it possible to create a Blocks View independent of a page?
Not exactly. If you begin a View independent of a page, you cannot design the entire View with blocks. You can design the loop template with Blocks, but not the other pieces. You can insert a Blocks-designed View in Elementor using the View widget or a Views shortcode, just like any other View.

Whereas I just want a view the view to list all the URLs and eMail addresses for ACME A in a grid.
Views cannot loop over multiple field instances, only over posts or Repeatable Field Groups (RFGs). So you can certainly set up a View that only displays one post - Acme A - then use Types fields shortcodes ( See here: https://toolset.com/documentation/customizing-sites-using-php/functions/ ) in the loop to display all the repeating fields for that one Acme A post. However, you cannot create a View loop that loops over multiple field instances from a single post. I hope this clarifies what is possible with Views. If you want to display the multiple field instances for a single post on that single post template, no View is required. Just use the Types field shortcodes inside your template.

Dear Christian,

I think I understand. One more small question. What did you mean by "You can design the loop template with Blocks, but not the other pieces." When I go to the legacy views loop item window I do not see the button for design the loop item with the blocks editor that I used to see in a prior version. If that is what you meant by the quoted text, can you tell me how to create the loop template with the Blocks editor?

NOTE: I have just discovered that if you create a view with grid columns using the block editor, when you insert it into Elementor using the Views widget or View shortcodes, whatever columns you set in the view are not respected. Only one large column is displayed within the Elementor page. I am going to test if the same is true with a multi column legacy view in elementor as well.

Thanks so much.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.