Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Views 3.1.1 breaks FooGallery shortcode

This support ticket is created 4 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

This topic contains 18 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by scottL-3 3 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author
page-with-no-content-template-output.jpg

I am trying to: We've been using FooGallery with Toolset for a long time on this site. Everything worked. FooGallery shortcode in pages, Views output, content templates all worked and could save a FooGallery shortcode in a custom Toolset field and use it in a Content Template with no issues.

The latest Views seems to break FooGallery's shortcode sitewide ... a page or a content template with the foogallery shortcode in it renders no output at all where it should (header, nav, footer are fine but content area is empty).

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link
This is where I proved it was Views. I updated plugins on the staging site one at a time until the gallery broke. Views was the one.

I expected to see: Partner info from various fields and a gallery from the foogallery shortcode stored in a partner custom field.

Instead, I got: No Output from the Content Template at all. The empty white strip in the middle of attached screenshot should have body, custom field content, a map for address and a gallery from a shortcode in a custom field.

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Scott,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

To troubleshoot and reproduce this on my own test website, I'll need to see exactly how and where this gallery shortcode is being used.

Can you please share temporary admin login details along with the information about the template where this shortcode can be seen?

Note: Your next reply will be private and though no changes will be made on your website, please make a complete backup copy, before sharing the access details.

regards,
Waqar

Waqar
Supporter

Thank you for sharing the update and glad that it is fixed.

As you noted, it could be a temporary hosting service or caching issue. But, please do let us know if this re-surfaces on either the staging or the production websites, again.

Updated all Toolset plugins (layouts, views, maps, woocommerce views) and the problem is still occurring but now it works on some but not other partner pages.

This page shows nothing if it has a foo gallery assigned to it:
hidden link

This one works fine:
hidden link

If I switch their foogallery shortcodes, the the one that did not work works and vice-versa yet if I roll Views back to 3.0.2 they both work. On one hand it makes me think something is wrong with the gallery on the one that doesn't work but the other big variable is the Views version...and the one that does not work used to work before the Views update so it seems unlikely the gallery is the problem.

If I reduce the gallery for the one that does not work to 14 images, it works. But it doesn't seem to matter which images I remove so it doesn't seem to be some kind of issue with an image file. No idea why 14 is a significant limit in this gallery v. others and only with Views 3.1.1 or 3.1.2 installed.

I'd love to get rid of FooGallery and build the galleries with repeating fields with the newer toolset capabilities but the client's budget and my schedule don't allow that anytime soon.

A significant finding: the issue seems to be between Views and ARI Fancy Lightbox, not FooGallery. We use ARI Fancy Lightbox for the lightbox and slideshow with FooGallery because it has better deep linking and social sharing abilities. When I disable the lightbox for the gallery or deactivate the ARI Fancy Lightbox plugin, the gallery shows properly.

Waqar
Supporter

Hi Scott,

Thank you for sharing the update and sorry about the delay in getting back on this.

During testing on my own website, I couldn't reproduce this issue, only with Toolset Views and the ARI Fancy Lightbox plugin, which leads me to believe that it is somehow also linked to how FooGallery's shortcode is processed.

For further investigation, your website's clone/snapshot will be needed with ARI Fancy Lightbox plugin activated, so that the issue is visible.

I've set your next reply as private and you can share a clone/snapshot as explained in this guide:
https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

This will allow us to perform further tests, without affecting your actual website.

regards,
Waqar

Duplicator times out before it can finish building the package on Kinsta. I may have to build a staging site on a different host and either give you ftp and WP Admin access there or try building the Duplicator package there. Standby.

I have made a copy of the site on a different host and setup ftp and WP Admin access for toolset there. Please set my next reply to private so I can send you the login and ftp info.

Also, Luo is working on my other issue with Distance search in Maps and Views not working right on this same staging server so you may want to coordinate with each other.

Waqar
Supporter

Hi Scott,

I've set your next reply as private so that you can share the access details for the website on a different host.

Thank you for your time and report.

regards,
Waqar

Waqar
Supporter

Hi Scott,

Thank you for sharing the admin access.

As you noted, I can see the lightbox working on this new copy of the website, which makes it a server/environment specific issue.

My recommendation would be to turn WordPress debugging on ( ref: https://wordpress.org/support/article/debugging-in-wordpress/ ) on the actual website with the issue and see if any specific error or warnings are recorded in the error logs, on-screen or in the browser's console.

If you find anything originating from any of the Toolset plugins, you're welcome to share it with us.

regards,
Waqar

Hi Waqar, it turns out that the only reason the gallery and lightbox work on the new staging site is because I didn't copy all the images over. If I add some other images to the gallery for Unmistaken Stonecraft, I get back to the problem that nothing at all is output for that partner even on this new staging server. There are not a lot of images but it seems like more than about 6 is where the problem starts happening, Very odd.

At any rate, this now suggest this is not a server specific issue. The same problem happens on Kinsta with MariaDB and InMotion in a VPS with MySQL as long as there are enough images in the gallery for the partner.

There is nothing in the debug.log file related to this issue. Only a warning about Yoast SEO using a deprecated API.

Waqar
Supporter

Hi Scott,

Sorry about the delay in getting back on this and these are indeed strange findings.

I can look into this further if you could share a clone/snapshot of this staging website, where the issue is now replicable too.
( hidden link )

Have you tried the duplicator plugin on this staging website? If that doesn't work, you can send the database export file, in .sql format and I'll download the files manually using FTP access.

Note: Your next reply is also set as private.

regards,
Waqar

You can close this ticket ... the issue is not fixed but I am eliminating FooGallery and using repeating image fields with a gallery in Toolset instead.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

Hi Scott

Waqar is on vacation.

I'm not sure if it is related (I skimmed this thread) but we do have an open issue where the native Gallery block breaks when adding a large number of images when the latest versions of Views are active, and that will be fixed in the next release. It could be connected.

In any case, if you are willing to work around the problem then please mark as resolved, thanks.

Nigel when you say a large number of images in the native gallery do you mean 8 or so images or a very large #? FooGallery was breaking at about 8 images.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.