Skip Navigation

[Resolved] View with ordered list displayed with bootstrap has numbers on separate line

This support ticket is created 3 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by mikeS-30 3 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author
Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 10.59.39 AM.png

Tell us what you are trying to do? I have a view that displays a worldwide sales leaderboard. It needs to be an ordered list so salespeople can see what number they are compared to other salespeople (descending list sorted by total sales custom field). I found documentation that outlines how ol lists can't be edited with CSS so I followed the documentation to add the numbers using a :before pseudo element. I can get that to display but the issue is that I have bootstrap columns set up to display the loop. Since the loop editor and template uses bootstrap columns, the list numbers from the :before pseudo element are displaying on a line above the li items in the list. I'm 99% sure the issue is due to using bootstrap to create the columns but when I just use an ordered list without bootstrap, the data is scrunched together so it's hard to read. The loop editor and template code is as follows:

//Loop Editor

<div class="row">
<div class="col-sm-3">Distributor Name</div>
<div class="col-sm-3">Distributorship</div>
<div class="col-sm-3">Division</div>
<div class="col-sm-3">Total Sales</div>
</div>

[wpv-layout-start]
[wpv-items-found]
<!-- wpv-loop-start -->
<ol class="wpv-loop js-wpv-loop worldwide-list">
<wpv-loop>

• [wpv-post-body view_template="loop-item-in-worldwide-sales-leaderboard-complete-list"]
  • </wpv-loop>
    </ol>
    <!-- wpv-loop-end -->
    [/wpv-items-found]
    [wpv-no-items-found]
    [wpml-string context="wpv-views"]No items found[/wpml-string]
    [/wpv-no-items-found]
    [wpv-layout-end]

//Template

<div class="row">
    <div class="col-sm-3">[types usermeta="distributor-first-name"][/types] [types usermeta="distributor-last-name"][/types]</div>
    <div class="col-sm-3">[types usermeta="distributorship-username"][/types]</div>
    <div class="col-sm-3">[types usermeta="division"][/types]</div>
    <div class="col-sm-3">[types usermeta="contest-total"][/types]</div>
    </div>

Is there any documentation that you are following?
    https://toolset.com/forums/topic/my-loop-use-ordered-list-i-want-to-css-number-but-i-cant-find-their-class/
    This is the documentation I used to remove the numbers from the ol and add numbers using the pseudo element.

Is there a similar example that we can see?
    hidden link

What is the link to your site?
    hidden link

Hello, I think this is really more of a HTML/CSS question than a Toolset question. How would you do this in basic HTML without Toolset involved? A simple solution with Toolset is to use the wpv-loop-index shortcode to print out the row number in the loop, bypassing the need for an ordered list altogether. Documentation for that shortcode can be found here: https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/views/views-shortcodes/#wpv-loop-index

For a pure CSS solution, I can offer some ideas that might help you come up with your own custom styles. There's not going to be a simple solution that works really well at all screen resolutions, so you might need some media queries that apply different fixes at different screen widths. At full desktop resolution, I would position the :before pseudo element absolutely, which will take it out of the normal flow and allow the Bootstrap row to extend full width without breaking to a second line. Then add some left padding to the first child element of the first column to push the text over a bit, exposing the row number without any overlap.

In your stylesheet:

/* For Toolset support ticket #1691771 */
    .worldwide-list li:before {
        position: absolute; 
    }

In the Loop template:

<div class="col-sm-3"><span style="padding-left:30px;">Distributor Name</span></div>

Notice that I added a span and applied padding to that interior element. I did not set padding or margins directly on the Bootstrap column, which would inevitably break the grid structure. Again, these are just some ideas you can use in a custom code solution.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.