Skip Navigation

[Resolved] View the archives with group filtering

This support ticket is created 7 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Beda 7 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author
Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 2.22.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 2.20.12 PM.png

Dear Beda,

I know Toolset Views now support he WordPress Archives, I want to list the Archives with group filtering, posts will be grouped into 3 groups, the future posts, today posts and the past posts. I create a page and put the 3 Views shortcode in body like

[wpv-view name="press-release-listing-future"]
[wpv-view name="press-release-listing-this-month"]
[wpv-view name="press-release-listing-past"]

so that posts can be listed in group as a archives, when I read individual post, the Breadcrumb show the custom post slug and when I click into it, the WordPress Archives for the custom post is called and the WordPress Archives doesn't support filter and allow me to show the list in group.

How can I solve that or can I redirect the WordPress Archives for specific post to my custom page?

Best regards,

Kelvin.

Toolset Supports Archive customization since a long time.

But this includes only the Styling of the archives.

Not the Query itself-
With Archives created with Views, you an decide how to display our Archives and even customize partially the paginations.

But you can not use Parametric Searches and / or query filters.

WordPress Archives apply to ONE template only, (the archive templates) BUT can not be called via a ShortCode.

The BreadCrumbs are something that your Theme provides, and Toolset does not allow or provide a Breadcrumb solution.
If your Breadcrumb, provided by the Theme, is linking to your Archives, then you need to customize that code with Custom Code to redirect wherever you want.

Thank you

Dear Beda,

Thanks for your reply. I simply create archive-press_release.php and put a php redirect header to the page I made, then I can override the default archive template.

<?php
	header("Location: /press-release/");  // redirect to specific 
?>

You can do this, if this matches your needs.

Usually for Archives you will use Archives, and not redirect to anything.

If you don't need Archives you can simply disable has_archives in Toolset > Post Types > Edit > Options.

But of course that is not a redirect, instead, the Archive wont be created for this post type in that case.

Is the solution you provided working for you?
Then we might close this ticket.

Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 5.12.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 5.10.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 5.03.41 PM.png

Dear Beda,

Yes, my solution working for me but don't know any other better solution. There is no query filter in WordPress Archives. Disable the has_archives is an alternative method.

My expected archive outlook is like this hidden link (see screenshot), there is three sections to group the post archives, when I visit individual post, having the Breadcrumb will make it more presentable that. (see screenshot)

From the Toolset > Post Types > Edit > Options > has_archives (see screenshot), there is a textbox for entering custom archive slug for CPT, what is that, under what kind if situation, we need to change it?

Best regards,

Kelvin

1. There is no query filter in WordPress Archives.

Yes, this is not available
Our DEV is working on a feature that will allow for too parametric Searches on a Archive, when you use Layouts for the Archive and include a View Cell in there.
No ETA available yet though.

2. To group your contents, your approach is the most straight forward

3. From the Toolset > Post Types > Edit > Options > has_archives (see screenshot), there is a textbox for entering custom archive slug for CPT, what is that, under what kind if situation, we need to change it?

If has_archive is true, you can rewrite the Archive Slug, so it could be different then the default post_name (which is used by default on a archive)

Dear Beda,

Good to hear Toolset will consider parametric Searches on a Archive, I looking for this feature. By the way, may I know is there site that list about the coming feature the Toolset is going? I would like to know and provide more suggestion.

Best regards,

Kelvin.

Please keep in mind, this will no be "parametric search on archives" but, "include a View Cell that has parametric Search on a Archive Layout".
This is a slight, but crucial difference.

There is no page where we list upcoming Features or roadmaps, but to be honest, I like that idea and suggested it to ur DOC Team.

Let's see if we can implement something.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.