Skip Navigation

[Resolved] View – Person Published Content no longer works as before

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I have a Query Filter set up to filter by a custom field checkboxes group. The value of the field is set by the current post's title, using a shortcode attribute in the View shortcode. For one specific value, the filter doesn't work correctly.

Solution: Check the capitalization. In this case, one word in the checkbox value was uncapitalized but the post title was capitalized. This caused false positives in the filter.

This support ticket is created 4 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 19 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by kristofG 4 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

This page hidden link is using "Content Template - Person Single" which loads

[wpv-view name="view-person-published-content" publishedby="[wpv-post-title]"]

to display all the published content by that author.

This works for other authors, for example hidden link but not for this new author "Itinera Talks"

When we visit a publication that is supposedly made by Itinera Talks hidden link we don't see the author Itinera Talks listed there, and neither is it checked in the admin editor.

I have no idea what wen wrong with this author.

Hi, how is the view-person-published-content View's Query Filter configured? Please toggle open all Query Filter panels and take a screenshot so I can see the filter settings.

Is there a User in this site with the username Itinera Talks or itinera-talks?

How is it possible that this article has multiple authors? hidden link

Screenshot_16.jpg
Screenshot_15.jpg

- I have attached a screenshot of the Query Filter
- No, there are only 4 admin users, 2 of them do contain "itinera" inside the username, but none of them is Itinera Talks or itinera-talks
- "Person" is a separate Post Type attached to an Article or a Book, screenshot attached. We can check as many authors as we need.

Okay thanks. Please try these troubleshooting steps and let me know the results:
- Resave your site permalinks
- Temporarily activate the parent Avada theme, then deactivate all plugins except Types and Views. Test again.
- If the problem is resolved, reactivate the child theme and other plugins one by one until the problem returns
- If the problem is not resolved, please go to Toolset > Settings > Front-end Content and scroll down to debug mode. Activate compact debug mode and refresh the page with the View. You may need to disable your popup blocker to see the debug popup. Click any button that includes a "+" or says "Show". This will open up all the panels in the debug window. Then copy + paste the contents of that window here in your next reply. You can then disable debug mode.

Ok, will do that tomorrow as I will have to make a duplicate of this site. Cannot do this debugging on the live site.

Okay, I'll stand by for your update.

I have installed the Health & Troubleshooting plugin so I could switch to the default theme and disable all plugins.
However, I am unable to activate any plugin while troubleshooting. It also displays an alert at the right top "Plugin actions, such as activating and deactivating, are not available while in Troubleshooting Mode."
Do you know another similar plugin that might work?

You don't need any special plugin to do this in a test site. I would manually switch to the default theme in wp-admin > Appearance > Themes, and I would deactivate plugins manually in wp-admin > Plugins > Installed Plugins.

I would do the same, except this is not a test site, this one is very much live.

Oh, sorry I thought you had a test environment set up. You could install a Maintenance Mode plugin that puts the site in maintenance mode while you test, but that effectively takes the site offline for non-admin users. I'm not familiar with any plugins that allow you to test deactivating plugins while the live site keeps the plugin active.

If setting up a test environment on your end is difficult, I can work with a site clone locally and run these tests for you. I would prefer to work with a Duplicator clone or an All-in-One WP Migration clone. Duplicator has a free version you can use, or if you provide login credentials I can use the pro version. Let me know how you want to proceed.

I have used WP Staging to create hidden link
Switched to Parent Avada theme and Toolset Types, Views and WPML plugins.
As you can see, still all articles seem attached to this "person". Even with the TwentyNineteen Theme.

Okay and what about without WPML plugins, any difference? It seems like what is happening here is that the post title isn't being considered in the filter by shortcode attribute for some reason, so the filter returns all results. I'm curious if that's related to translation somehow. The debug information will also be very helpful for me.

Same issue without WPML: hidden link
Debug is activated, I hope you can see the popup. The content is huuuge, too much to paste here.

I have compared two SQL queries for 2 persons, the faulty one and a correct one. I notice many differences, on the correct one there is:
- an INNER JOIN wpstg0_postmeta
- an extra AND parameter "wpstg0_postmeta.meta_key = 'wpcf-itinera-author' AND wpstg0_postmeta.meta_value LIKE xxxx
- a GROUP BY wpstg0_posts.ID

I would have to log in to be able to see debug info, that popup doesn't display for guests. Regardless, if the problem is occurring without WPML then there's something strange going on. One last thing to try: uncheck the checkbox "Don't include current page in query result". If that doesn't work, I'll have to work with a clone of your site to figure out what's happening. I could create a clone in staging or try to work with a copy of your database.

I have unchecked that, but it did not resolve the issue.
If you want, you can test on the staging I created today. I can give you access in a secure post.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.