Skip Navigation

[Resolved] View created doesn’t appear in the ‘View List’

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I would like to display a list of posts organized by taxonomy term. I understand I would need to first create a View of taxonomy terms, then create a nested View of posts filtered by taxonomy term. However, I cannot find my taxonomy View in the list of Views available to display with a Views block, and when I place the View of posts it does not work as expected.

Solution: You must place a taxonomy View in the block editor using a View shortcode, since taxonomy Views are not supported in the Views block. The post View must then be placed inside the loop of the taxonomy View using another View shortcode.

Relevant Documentation:
https://toolset.com/documentation/legacy-features/views-plugin/using-a-child-view-in-a-taxonomy-view-layout/

This support ticket is created 3 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by danielM-34 3 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author
Taxonomy-View-Taxo-03.JPG
Taxonomy-View-Result-04.JPG
Taxonomy-View-Create-02.JPG
Taxonomy-View-Create-01.JPG

I'd like to do a list of CPT 'Parc' orderd by Taxonomy 'Regions'.
Example: Taxonomy Hierarchical
Region-1
-- Region-A (has CPT post Parc-A1 and Parc-A2)
-- Region-B (has CPT post Parc-B1)
List I would like to have is simple:
Region-A (Term)
Parc-A1 (field #1, Field#2, etc.)
Parc-A2 (field #1, Field#2, etc.)
Region-B
Parc-B1 (field #1, Field#2, etc.)

I used the following Toolset documentation (use a Post View inside a Taxonomy View): https://toolset.com/documentation/legacy-features/views-plugin/using-a-child-view-in-a-taxonomy-view-layout/

1) I created a first view on a taxonomy 'Regions' using the option ToolSet/Views (See attachment-01) and filter to select only taxaonomy of 'Parent-Region-1' (in my example)
Then I created a page to display this first View. The View doesn't appear in 'Existing View' (I'm using ToolSet View Block).
There's a blank line with in blue color (See attachment-02).
How can I display my View based on Custom Taxonomy ?

Note: In ToolSet/Views, when I create a view on my Taxonomy and select 'Create a page with this view'.... and then select 'Preview in a new tab', I see all the right Taxonomies... ! (See attachment-03)

2) Next Step: According the documentation, I need to create 2 views. The second view should filter with 'Taxonomy Filter' parameter and 'Set the parent taxonomy view' option selected. I created a View based on CPT 'Parcs' with Filter Parameter on Taxonomy 'Regions' with option 'Set by the parent Taxonomy View'.

But the result is 'No Item Found'... I'm expecting to see all my CPT 'Parcs' ordered by Custom Taxonomy 'Regions' ?

Thanks for your help

You can display a taxonomy View by inserting a wpv-view shortcode. The block editor does not support taxonomy-based Views, so the shortcode solution is the best approach.

[wpv-view name="your-taxonomy-view-slug"]

If the results aren't displayed as expected when the nested View structure is displayed, I'll need to take a closer look.

Taxonomy-Select-Parent-05.JPG

1) It works well (ShortCode)until I add a filter on a specific 'Parent' taxonomy (see attachment 05). Then I have no Results.

2) Point #2 still 'No item Found' even when there is no filter on Taxonomy. Result Expected:

Region-abc (taxonomy)
CPT post 1
CPT post 3
Region-xyz
CPT post 2

I'm waiting for your feedback

May I log in to your site and see how the Views are configured? Please provide login credentials in the private reply fields here, and let me know where I can see the problems on the front-end of the site.

Okay I expect the View "View-Region-Parc-01" will not work correctly when placed by itself, since the filter is set to "Set by the parent taxonomy view". To function correctly, this View should be nested inside another taxonomy View. So I would edit View-Regions-01 and place the View-Region-Parc-01 inside the wpv-loop tags.

I've done that for you, and now I can see some CPT results appear in the View-Regions-01 results. Can you take a look and see what's happening now?

It's exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.