Skip Navigation

[Closed] View – Archive Pages

This support ticket is created 3 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 19 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Shane 3 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Hi there,

We have Archive Pages for a few of our 'post' categories...this is one for example:
hidden link

This was easy to design and implement.

I just can't get my head round Toolset and doing something similar.

We have a ton of very useful Portfolio Categories, one being Location specific, these not shown on the site .

So I clicked the 'Archive for Portfolios in Toolset dash.
I copied over some of our styling and made the Archive look just like all our girds...great.

Here's one for example: hidden link

However, how on earth do I edit the page this is displayed on?
What is used to make this page and how do I add, say a dynamic page title and dynamic description just like we do for WP Archives?

I see Content Templates in Toolset, can't see what these do in relevance to the link I've supplied.

I can see how to change the layout as far as the grid is concerned, this all good however where to I edit the page this is displayed on where I can add some styling?

Many thanks, Pete

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Screenshot 2020-08-03 at 1.04.19 PM.png

Hi Pete,

Thank you for getting in touch.

I'm assuming here that your wordpress archive is using the Gutenburg Block builder. If so then you should be able to use the add block button at the top of the editor to add the block that you wanted. Ideally you can try adding the single field block and use that to get your dynamic content data.

Please let me know if this helps.
Thanks,
Shane

AA see here.png

Hi Shane,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, but where is this? Our Views use custom code and CSS to create the 'look' we wish.
If I click the 'archive for portfolios' in the main Toolset dash, this takes me to a View type screen where we have added Search and Pagination, Loop Editor etc.

I see a button at the top right, however if I click this a warning box pops up saying I'm going to reset everything.

The last thing I want is to try and recreate what we have in Blocks, this I am certain we can't do as we prefer to stick to code and Views.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Pete,

So from your screenshot you are using the classic method for the archive.

In order to add the dynamic content specific to this archive you will need to add the correct shortcodes outside of the wpv-loop tag. You can use the fields and views button on the editor to add your Archive content.

Here is an example of the shortcode that can be used.
https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/views/views-shortcodes/#wpv-archive-title

Thanks,
Shane

Ahhh right, hmmm this isn't going to make things easy. Good ole Toolset! 🙂

Ok so say on this archive I quickly added: [wpv-archive-title]
And got this: hidden link

Using the Loop Editor in Elementor we can do a ton of stuff. How for example would I remove the word 'Location'?

I guess everything will need CSS styling, fair enough.

However, will I only be able to add things to this page that use a Toolset shortcode?

Thanks as always Shane.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Pete,

Using the Loop Editor in Elementor we can do a ton of stuff. How for example would I remove the word 'Location'?

This would require some form of custom code to trim the text to remove the Location: text.

However, will I only be able to add things to this page that use a Toolset shortcode?

Yes you should be able to add non-toolset shortcodes to the archive editor as well.

Thanks,
Shane

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

Sorry Shane,

One last thing I noticed...what is setting the width of the archive page?
hidden link

I can see this:
.site-header, body:not([class*="elementor-page-"]) .site-main {
max-width: 960px;
}

Which suggests Elementor however the standard with is set to 1200px.

As I'm using the Classic method I have no access to any page settings. I do not wish to use Block...tried that and it will never achieve the results I have using code.

I just can't work out, if the theme is set to 1200px, why is the archive page set to 960px.

Thank you

Shane
Supporter

Hi Pete,

This page, it was built using elementor ? or was it built using our custom archive.

However you should be able to use this custom css below to overwrite the templates setting.

.site-header, body:not([class*="elementor-page-"]) .site-main {
max-width: 1200px !important;
}

Thanks,
Shane

Hey Shane,

I messed with a few ways of doing this and saw what you've suggested. My worry was this would affect other areas of the site.

Why would this 'not' mess with the rest of the site out of interest?

Thank you.

Hi, Shane is out today on a public holiday and will return tomorrow to continue assisting you. Thanks for your patience.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Pete,

If you add this code to the custom css section of this page only then no it won't mess with the other pages.

Given that this is a custom archive there should be a css section on the archive template on the backend.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the reply, well there's the issue and as mentioned above, there is no page. I have created the archive in Toolset so we have no access to any page. I have added this code to our site Additional CSS which will cover the whole site.~

Unless I can add this to the CSS in the actual Toolset Archive then this code may affect the whole site hence my question.

Shane
Supporter

Screenshot 2020-08-07 at 10.30.13 AM.png
Screenshot 2020-08-07 at 10.29.43 AM.png

Hi Pete,

Yes you can add this to your custom archive. If you are using the gutenburg editor to build your custom archive then you can use the custom css section. See Screenshot

Ensure that in the block navigation you have selected WordPress Archive. See screenshot

Once this is selected you should see the block option for custom JS and CSS appearing.

Thanks,
Shane

See this plz.png

But Shane, from the start and you noticed we are using the classic method, not Blocks.

Blocks cannot achieve the layout we use.

We have created the archive clicking the Create Archive in the post type in Toolset Dash.

We cannot access a page, everything is Toolset and using shortcodes.

The topic ‘[Closed] View – Archive Pages’ is closed to new replies.