Skip Navigation

[Resolved] View a list of user submitted form entries via Toolset Forms

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I would like to know how I can see a list of modifications to a post over time using Views, similar to revision history in wp-admin.

Solution: There's nothing built-in to Views that will allow you to track revision history over time. This would require a significant amount of custom code.

This support ticket is created 4 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Author

Hello,

I am trying to see if there is a way to view entries created by Toolset Forms similar to entries in Gravity Forms. I've created a form (this is working great) with Toolset Forms that users will fill out and update from time to time. I need a list of these entries so I can see how the data changes over time. Is that something Toolset can do and if not what would you suggest?

Hi, let me be sure I understand what you need. I'm not quite clear if you want to see something like a chronological list of revisions to a single post over time, or if you want to see a list of all the posts submitted over time. If it's the former, revision tracking is a bit more complex than the normal scope of what Forms, Types and Views allows. If it's the latter, that's more straightforward. If all the posts are created in Forms, then you would simply create a View of that post type. Assuming some posts are not created with Forms, and you need a way to create a View that filters those out, the easiest way I can think of is to use a custom field to designate that a post was submitted by Forms. To do that, I would add a custom "radio" field to this post type that includes 2 options: "made with forms" and "not made with forms". The "not made with forms" option would be the default option, so when posts are submitted from wp-admin this will be selected automatically. However, in the Form used to create these posts from the front-end of the site, you will manually set the radio field to "made with forms" in the Form builder, and hide it from your Users on the front-end. This way it will be automatically selected, designating the post as being created by Forms. I can show you how that would work in the form builder if you need more information about that. Then in the View of these posts, you'll set up a Query Filter based on that custom radio field so only posts created in Forms will appear in the results.

That's just a general overview. Let me know if you need more details about that process and I can help you set it up.

Hey Christian,
So chronological list of revisions to a single post over time would work but it is actually a form to update users custom fields...so ideally I would be able to see a chronological history of users fields. Let me know if you need any more information.

Hmm, no there's nothing exactly like that built into Toolset or WordPress. WordPress doesn't track revisions for User profiles so the historical update information for user metadata isn't stored in the database, by default. Once it's changed, the old data is gone forever. Tracking those changes and storing that data over time would require a significant amount of custom code, or a third-party plugin. I'm able to assist with custom code that uses any Toolset APIs, so let me know if you need more information about anything specific.

Thanks for the reply Christian. I think I have another solution using Gravity Forms but just wanted to see if it was something I could bundle in to Toolset. Either way I think I've got another solution. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.