Skip Navigation

[Resolved] [UX improvement] – add ability to change a custom post type.

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.
This support ticket is created 6 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 6 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Carlos Rojas.

Author

Changing custom fields types is not always possible. For example, it's not allowed to change a text field into select. I think I know what are the under-the-hood reasons, but the plugin should not be smarter than a user is. If I want to change a custom field type (even if values are not compatible) I should be allowed to do it. Maybe a warning or an additional confirmation should be displayed, but it shouldn't be disallowed for sure.

At the moment if I want to change a field type I have to delete the field and create it again... but creating a field again is also not very straightforward because of this issue: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/deleted-custom-field-name-cannot-be-used-again

So in order to change a field type we have to
1. Delete the field
2. Go to Types > Custom Fields > Control Custom Fields menu
3. Delete the field
4. Return to an initial screen and finally create a new field.

It's very unintuitive and complicated.

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hello,

Thanks for your opinion. This is a good feature, however I just consulted a higher up about it and I’m sure that this was how its built by design. Seeing that field type A (e.g: Text) and field type B (e.g: Select list) are stored differently then you’re not able to switch Field Type A to field Type B , however field Type A and C (e.g.: number) are stored similarly hence why the system will allow you to change how between the 2 field types.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance and I will be happy to help.
Kind regards,
Carlos

The forum ‘Types Community Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.