Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Using Views frontend filter controls – "none" and "all" values

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.
This support ticket is created 11 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 19:00 10:00 – 19:00 10:00 – 19:00 10:00 – 19:00 10:00 – 19:00 -
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Vane 11 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Caridad.

Author

Hello,
it's not clear for me from the Views docs how can I set frontend filters default values to "all" or "none"
It also not clear what should I write there:
"Use this as the default value" selecting:
"Use existing custom field values when showing this control" ?
I think it can be a string if I want a specific field value, but most of the time default values used to be "all" in this case and I'm not able to define it!
Or if I define a value named "all" that does mean a specific value and not all values!
Did I miss something?
Thanks!

Dear Attila,

The setting "Use this as the default value" is used as the text for the "all" selection. There is no option to select "none".

"Use existing custom field values when showing this control" means that the options in the dropdown will be taken from the values found in your posts. The other option is to enter the dropdown options manually.

I will forward a request to improve the documentation in this area.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can assist you with.

Regards,
Caridad

Dear Caridad,
I'm sorry, the area and the texts in Filter controls settings/Input values are totally confusing for me.
The default value doesn't always mean "all" so using "Use this as the default value" text is confusing, at least for me.

If I modify filter terms relationship from AND to OR or back, some frontend filters are being removed unintentionally!
( Like Submit button etc. )

I have 3 frontend filter controls. I enable all, click OK and click Update (publish) but none of the frontend filters are appearing on frontend!

I modified some custom field's URL parameter in Comparison function ( remember our email conversation? ) but in the URL, the query parameter remained the old one!
So: Comparison function IN CHAR URL parameter "any" modified to "custom_field_ID_3"
but on frontend when I tested a filter, the URL parameter of the named field remained "any"!

There are other issues what are strange for me:
I can't delete a field (Featured Image) from View Layout ( I click on Delete, field removed but if I click on Update View and recheck Layout fields then the deleted field appears.

Help at:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/front-page-filters/
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/filtering-views-by-custom-fields/
doesn't contain info about these issues.

What can I do?

Dear Attila,

I think you are running into a combination of bugs and lack of documentation:

1) The default value should always mean 'all'. This is only true when you are selecting values from the database. If you manually input values you need to have an empty value with the label 'All'.

2) The submit button should not dissapear. If you can give me the steps to reproduce this problem I will try to get it fixed.

3) Dont use the same name as the field here, use a different one.

4) Finally, you should be able to delete fields too.

Can you try to replicate these problems, one by one, on http://discover-wp.com/ I have full access to debug your issues in here.

Regards,
Caridad

Dear Caridad,

1) An example: User profile custom field: has he got a car? Value is boolean: Yes/No
I want to set 'No' as default value.
Obviously the FILTER default should be 'all' but the FIELD VALUE default is 'No'
They can be mixed easily and both has to be set separately, I think.

2) 4) I can reproduce them on MY site. I can give you admin access in email to check.
I think some other custom field handling plugin I tested occured the problem so I will deactivate and delete all these plugins and TVC and reactivate only TVC. I think that way it will work, if not, I'll contact you

3) Seeing https://toolset.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/filter-custom-fields-by-url-param.png
suggesting me I should use what I used. I don't have any other idea what to use, I thought that is the slug.
You might remember our email conversation w subject: "Hierarchical front page filter in a View" on 19th Dec. which is also about frontend filtering and also not solved yet.

Regards,
Attila

Dear Attila,

1) You are mixing concepts. Using a checkboxes field, you can set a default value for the field and its used when adding a new record. But the default value of the filter control is the text for the 'all' selection, and its only used in the filter controls.

2) 4) I will wait for your results.

3) As long as the names are different its ok. In any case, try with a simple name like field3 or something like that.

I was back from holidays yesterday, so I will be taking care of your email during the day.

Regards,
Caridad

Dear Caridad,
since I'm not a TVC professional and also not a coder ( that's why I bought TVC ) I might mix TVC concepts.
I do my best, I read docs, search in forums but the docs might be imperfect or equivocal and I also may be wrong 🙂

1) I haven't said it's checkbox. It is dropdown. And what I'm writing about that the text there should clearly state what it is all about: filter or field value default?
It only speaks about values and default values !

3) when I had written there ( into URL parameter) any string, the filter didn't work correctly. ( That's our email conversion of 19th Dec. is about. So I should know, what are the slugs of those custom fields ( but I don't know since they are not defined in Types ).
I only know the field's name...

Pls. have a look at that email and I ask you to have a look at my admin before I reinstall TVC
I email you data.
Regards,
Attila

Dear Attila,

Dont take it personally, I am just trying to explain myself 🙂

1) I will forward a request to make the documentation more clear in this area. Thank you for your feedback.

3) I have logged in and noticed a high number of custom fields. I think you are running into a PHP limit of input vars. By default PHP 5.3 has a limit of 1000 post vars and saving your view is sending more than 1000. Try increasing the limit in php.ini
hidden link

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can assist you with.

Regards,
Caridad

Dear Caridad,
we modified php.ini with max_input_vars = 10000
This way I was able to delete a field of tabel in Layout and the deleted setting could be saved! But Submit button and other, previously defined frontend filter controlls are still missing.
I will do reinstall TVC this time tonight...

Pls. note slug issue hasn't been resolved yet:
"3) when I had written there ( into URL parameter) any string, the filter didn't work correctly. ( That's our email conversion of 19th Dec. is about. So I should know, what are the slugs of those custom fields ( but I don't know since they are not defined in Types ).
I only know the field's name…"
Thanks
Attila

Since we discuss the same issue in 2 topics I consider this solved.

The forum ‘Types Community Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.