Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Using Genesis with Types, Views, Layouts, and am having some output problems

This support ticket is created 8 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 20 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by dbarber 8 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

Short Version

Site running Genesis, Toolset Genesis plugin, Layouts, Types, Views, Toolset Google Maps, and WooCommerce Views is having 3 problems:

1. Secondary navigation is outputting two instances - one above header (as it should) and one below the primary navigation

2. Blog and custom taxonomy archives are outputting archive title and description between the secondary navigation and the header)

3. WooCommerce product pages are outputting as they should but archives page are outputting only the title of just one product.

I've tried deactivating all other plugins (leaving only Toolset plugins active) and the problems remain.

If you want / need me to break this into three different tickets, just let me know. I figured that since they were all happening on the same site, it made sense to raise a single ticket for them.

Long Version

I recently decided to overhaul a site I’ve got that revolves heavily around custom post types (with lots of custom fields for real estate market updates) and Views created by Toolset types and Views.

It was running the Ultimatum theme but since it relies so heavily on custom post types, I wanted to be able to use the Layouts plugin with it.

When I saw the news about support for Genesis I decided to take the plunge.

So I installed Genesis, the Genesis Starter child theme, the Genesis integration plugin, (from Toolset), Toolset Google Maps plugin, and Layouts.

I decided to go for magazine style layout and modeled the site on the Genesis Magazine Pro theme.

I ran into a couple of problems and am not sure where they’re coming from.

I’ve got a primary and secondary menu but there are two instances of the secondary menu.

You can see it on the staging site here: hidden link

I’ve hidden it on the production site using some CSS, as you can see in the link below, but that’s obviously not a solution.

hidden link

So I’m hoping for some direction towards a real solution for this issue.

On the custom taxonomy pages and the blog archive page the taxonomy name and description are being output between the secondary nav bar and the header, as you can see in the link below.

hidden link

Once again, on the production site, I’ve hidden it with some CSS, but, again, that’s obviously not a solution.

hidden link

I’ve also added WooCommerce, Genesis Connect, and Toolset’s WooCommerce Views plugins and am able to automatically populate the WooCommerce shop with products from Amazon (just doing books at this point) on the single product posts pages, but can’t get the archives pages to output properly.

Product page:
hidden link

Shop page:
hidden link

Just tried a quick setup on a site I've got with Dynamik Website Builder.

Same problem with navigation, but then I thought to check on the version of the Layouts Genesis plugin.

I was running beta version, so I updated to the latest (1.0) and the nav problem was solved.

So I'm going to update on the staging site in the previous post to see what happens.

Okay updating to the latest version solved the nav bar problem.

(Nice additions to the Layouts Genesis cell types in the new version, BTW)

Still getting the archive and taxonomy titles and descriptions between header and navigation and the shop archive still isn't outputting correctly.

Thank you for contacting us here in the Support Forum

I unterstand problem one is solved.

About problem 2:
"Blog and custom taxonomy archives are outputting archive title and description between the secondary navigation and the header)"

== >Are you using a Views Archive template on this?
Could you pass me the code used in it?

Problem 3:
"WooCommerce product pages are outputting as they should but archives page are outputting only the title of just one product."

==> same here, how are you customizing your Archives?
==> Could you also provide me the Code used in it?

I apologize not being able to pin point the issue out of the box, I need to see what you "tell" to dimply to narrow down the issue.

Perhaps you even could give me access to the saying site?
I would then need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site
- preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible -
in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed

Your next answer will be private which means only you and I have access to it.

❌ Please backup your database and website ❌

✙ I would, if possible, need access to a site where only a minimal set of Plugins and a default theme is active.
This to avoid eventual compatibility issues with other software.

Thank you for your patience.

Thanks for the Details

For the Shop Page, please try this:
- Create a layout
- Add a WP Archive Cell
- Add this layout to Shop Page
- See front end

You currently don't use a Archive on this, but just a Body content in the Layout "Page default"

About the unwanted archive title and description between the secondary navigation and the header, you use the same "Default layout for pages" on this page.

Can you try as well to assign a Archive to a layout and then use it on the page?

Thank you

wordpress-archives.PNG
layouts.PNG

Hi Beda

The Shop did have an archive, custom loop, and layout created for it, but I hadn't assigned it in the Shop page itself (I realized this thanks to your comment).

Same goes for the custom post type and taxonomy archives, as you can see from the screenshots.

I've assigned the archives under Views > WordPress archives.

Post types output as expected (see hidden link and hidden link) it's just the taxonomy archives and blog archive that are outputting the title and description between secondary nav and header.

This seems to be a function of the Genesis theme, so not sure if the issue is caused by the Layouts Genesis plugin?

It should actually output before the actual post content, by default.

I've searched for a custom function that I could use to reposition them but haven't had any success.

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Beda is on holiday today. He will be back by tomorrow and he will try to get in touch with you as soon as possible.

Blog.png

This seems to be part of Genesis Hardcoded header.

You see, in your layouts "Header Footer" you call things up to the Menu and Title / Header right area.

The unwanted Blog text ("Blog") is above it and not edited or output by layouts.

Fact is, if all Toolset Plugins are disable this Header is still output with some additional style, see the screenshot.

Why this only happens on the Taxonomy and Blog Archive I am not sure, I tried to locate the code for it in the Theme's field but couldn't.

I am waiting for some feedback on this from the Plugins DEV.

Please expect my informations here in the forum.

I have received feedback and the current workaround is to hide that via CSS.

We will work on the Genesis Integration plugin so to also prevent that output default output.

Please expect my informations here in the forum.

I need your permission to upload a beta Genesis Layouts version of the Plugin.

It should fix the problem.

Can you permit me to delete the old plugin and upload the new to your System?

Thank you

Please go ahead and delete the old plugin and install the new beta version.

Hi Beda

I've had to change passwords on the website and SFTP.

Could you please enable private mode so that I can post new password?

Private fields enabled.

I will proceed as soon I have the details.

I take it for permitted that I can upload the Beta version to your System and then I will notify you here for you to see it working.

Thank you

Uploaded and tested.

It seems solved to me.

Can you confirm this?

Hi Beda

It looks like the issue has been addressed (no longer need custom CSS to hide the output), but wouldn't it be better if output rendered as intended?

I could be mistaken, but I believe that the default output should be as it appears on this page:

hidden link

Please advise.

Cheers

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.