Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Using Blocks , Content Templates, & New block Views

This support ticket is created 3 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 - - 9:00 – 13:00
14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 - - 14:00 – 18:00

Supporter timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+00:00)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Jamal 3 years ago.

Assisted by: Jamal.

Author
Snip20210322_37.png
Snip20210322_36.png

Tell us what you are trying to do?

I am trying to use the new blocks system. for a Recruitment site) I have a post type called Jobs. I need a list view of the jobs with read more that links to the 'single job' full job information view. I am using BB Pro, Astra Theme. Toolset & WPML

I am using the transparent header in Astra so when I use the blocks editor and Views editor. (in page in dashboard) It clashes with the header???

How can I make the view and drop it in using a shortcode? If I could add it using BB then it wouldn't affect the header!

Also the content template 'Single View Job' When I add Standard WP "Post title with a link" Nothing seems to be attached? How can I attach it t the content template? Is there a video for this?

Is there any documentation that you are following? - Ive been following your videos!!

Is there a similar example that we can see? I have attached a screen shot. I want the jobs to appear in full width in pink background containers with job badge on left and selected details on right with read more button to get to 'single view' job.

In the attached screen shot Read more is not showing but it is there see 2nd screen shot of in page blocks!

What is the link to your site? hidden link

Thanks in advance. Sorry I'm sure this is quite basic. Last site I used Legacy views but I'm not fantastic with CSS so thought I'd give this new blocks option a go thinking it will be easier to style but i'm completely lost! Ive got just 2 pages left to finish this website and both have this views issue. Current Jobs & Available Candidates

hidden link

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+00:00)

Hello and thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

I am sorry, but I am not really sure to understand the issue that you are facing with this page. However, You can still use the legacy editor for views, content templates, or archive templates, by activating it in Toolset->Settings->General(tab)->Editing Experience.

I checked other pages from the top menu(Clients, Candidates, Contact), and it seems that the theme expect each page to have a featured image. The image is used as a background for the top menu and the page title. I think that the "New Jobs View" page does not have a featured image, or that it uses a different theme's template, or it uses a different content template.

It is also possible that it is a compatibility conflict, to verify it we need to try to reproduce this issue on one of our test sites. You can log in to one of them using the following URL hidden link
If you reproduce the issue on it, I'll involve our 2nd Tier or/and our compatibility team to find out the cause and the fix for it.

Snip20210322_39.png

Hi Jamal, Could you look at the attachment for me. I just nee to move the start of the view down. How can I achieve this? Holly

Snip20210322_39.png

Hi Jamal, Could you look at the attachment for me. I just need to move the start of the view down. How can I achieve this? Holly

Jamal
Supporter

I'll need to take a closer look at the backend area, compare this page with other pages, to be sure what to do.

Either allow me temporary access to your website, or reproduce this in the test site I offered, and I'll check it asap. Your next reply will be private to let you share credentials safely. ** Make a database backup before sharing credentials. **

Hi Jamal, just one more question before I spend the time on the test site. If I set up a view using blocks is there a way to find the shortcode for it so I can still drop it in somewhere else on the site. The blocks have resolved the CSS styling issues but am I correct in thinking if there are no shortcodes there is less flexibility as you cant put it wherever you want. I hope you can tell me that yes there is a shortcode 🙂 Thanks you for your answer.

Jamal
Supporter

Well, WordPress is heading toward using blocks instead of shortcodes. This means, that if you have built a view with blocks, you should use it as a block rather than as a shortcode. When adding a view block, you can reuse an existing view or create a new one.

WordPress is always trying to be backward compatible, which means that shortcodes won't disappear any sooner. In fact, WordPress offers a shortcode block to allow 3rd party software to continue working.

And yes 🙂 you can still use shortcodes, you can still add a view somewhere using a shortcode. We offer the wpv-view shortcode for this mean. You can read about it here https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/views/views-shortcodes/#vf-154377
You can use it as:

[wpv-view name="name or slug of the view"]
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.