Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Using a custom permalink structure

This support ticket is created 4 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by bastienB 4 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do? I have a "logical" permalink structure that I'd like to maintain but I'm not sure that we can use a page in the CPT permalink structure.

Is there any documentation that you are following? No.

Is there a similar example that we can see? Not that I'm aware of.

What is the link to your site? hidden link

---

So we have this page : hidden link

Its purpose is to display a list of the different customization method we offer. I was going the "Page" route but since I'm getting a little bit more comfortable with Toolset, I figured that having "Customization" as a CPT instead would allow us to do some cool things later with our products.

The goal would be that each customization method would sit at an URL like : hidden link

Although I can configure a View and have that list displayed on "/how-its-made/customization" so that the page is automatically updated when we add a new customization method, I'm not too sure how to address the single-page issue.

Is it possible to create a new term "Flat Embroidery" for the CPT "Customization" and have these created under "nationhats.com/how-its-made/customization/flat-embroidery"?

Basically, I'd like to use a custom permalink structure with a specific CPT.

Thank you!

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

To include "/how-its-made/" between the site's base URL ( nationhats.com ) and the post type's slug ( customization ), you can follow these steps:

1. Please go to the settings of your custom post type "Customization".
( WP Admin -> Toolset -> Post Types )

2. On this post type's settings page, you'll see a radio button for "Use a custom URL format" option, just under the "Rewrite" checkbox.

3. Select this option and include "/how-its-made" in the field blow it, as shown in this screenshot:
hidden link

After saving the settings, please check the permalinks of your single "Customization" posts.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need any further assistance around this.

regards,
Waqar

Hello Waqar,

Thank you for the provided setup instruction.

I followed the steps you indicated but I'm still getting a page not found error on our archive page.

The single-post page works well (hidden link).

However the archive seems to have some issues (hidden link).

Waiting for your feedback.

All best,
B

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thanks for the update and glad that it worked.

For the post type's archive page, please also include "how-its-made/customization" in the field, below the "has_archive".
( on the post type's settings screen )

Screenshot: hidden link

Note: After this change, you may have to flush WordPress rewrite rules by clicking the "Save Changes" button at WP Admin -> Settings -> Permalinks.

regards,
Waqar

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.